Fenders ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM56alum

Reaction score
Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, F
Just out of morbid curiousity what are the state laws on having fenders on trailers i havent found anything on the minnesota dmv's website, seems as though monkeys possibly designed the website ? i understand the concept behind them but the one's i have are seriously bent up and torn up, i'm considering making some custom one's for mine, they'er not too hard to make but i want some smoothie fenders like the oldschool hotrod's. But they'er not really going to be funtional by most people's or dmv standards because they'er only going to cover the top of the wheels and wont go down the 4 inches the original ones do.

Also i dont know if most people know this that 75% of trailer fenders dont even protect the car behind you it actually protect's the rear of your car from rocks. Which every boat trailer i'v ever seen never has enough tred thats deep enough to kick up anything other than water and just dirt. But i know people have been pulled over for not having them on tandom axles, or anything over 1200lbs, i personally dont think that would apply to a 250lb trailer.

I don't know the law in Illinois but I ran for many years without any fenders on my utility trailer. My dad made me a set from 1x6 and 1x4 pressure treated wood. On my boat trailer I'd want them to protect my boat from rocks.

I've looked and can't find anything regarding MN law. I guess if I really wanted to know I would call the county attorney's office, or the highway patrol.

From here......
"Wheel flaps are required on every trailer which is not equipped with fenders or other structural characteristics that prevent water, dirt and other materials from being thrown rearward. The ground clearance of the wheel flap shall not exceed nine inches when the vehicle is empty."

and here.....
"If the trailer does not have fenders, wheel flaps are required."

And lastly, here.......
"2011 Minnesota Statutes
Wheel Flaps
Recent History
2005 169.733 Amended 1Sp2005 c 1 art 4 s 35
1998 Subd. 1 Amended 1998 c 372 art 1 s 7

169.733 WHEEL FLAPS ON TRUCK AND TRAILER.
Subdivision 1.Vehicles generally.Every truck, truck-tractor, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and rear-end dump truck, excepting rear-end dump farm trucks, must be provided with wheel flaps or other suitable protection above and behind the rearmost wheels of the vehicle or combination of vehicles to prevent, as far as practicable, the wheels from throwing dirt, water, or other materials on the windshields of following vehicles. The flaps or protectors must be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting and have a ground clearance of not more than nine inches from the ground when the vehicle is empty."

I use my trailer fenders as a step.

As I understand, here in California, a hot rod that weighs less than a certain amount of weight, doesn't require any fenders. I had a street legal Baja bug that had fiberglass fenders on the back that barely covered the top of the rear tires much less the rear of them. It made for nice rooster tails in the rain (funny how people didn't tailgate me too).

Around here the local farm supply store sells trailer fenders. Up by you I think it Mills Fleet and Farm, or TSC - Tractor Supply Company. Give em both a try.

Latest posts