Car Dash..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompatt

Reaction score
I know this is random but I have tried lookin everywhere for help. has anyone painted their car dash before? Im gonna try and paint it, but i dont know wat all i need. So far... a person told me i just need to sand the dash a lil. put primer on it. paint it with the color i want. and then put a clear coat on it. help plz..

Any rattle can automotive paint will work. Topping it with clear coat will extend it's live. I did the dash in an old Olds Delta 88 that way. I used 400 grit sandpaper to give it something to stick too. Didn't use primer as I didn't go to the metal. If you hit metal, spot priming it will be enough. Make sure you do several THIN coats, even if the first one doesn't cover all the way, don't load up on the paint. 3-4 very light coats will look better and last longer than 1-2 thicker ones.

flounderhead59 said:
Any rattle can automotive paint will work. Topping it with clear coat will extend it's live. I did the dash in an old Olds Delta 88 that way. I used 400 grit sandpaper to give it something to stick too. Didn't use primer as I didn't go to the metal. If you hit metal, spot priming it will be enough. Make sure you do several THIN coats, even if the first one doesn't cover all the way, don't load up on the paint. 3-4 very light coats will look better and last longer than 1-2 thicker ones.

well one day i was bored and i decided to take out the dash (dumb idea) now i have had the dash out for about a year :p. i looked at the original dash and it was all dry rotted and chipped. so i went to Ebay and got newer used dash parts from younger jeeps. but the prob. was that they were all diff. colors. so im gonna paint them black. yea its just all hard plastic. im gonna get some duplicolor vinyl paint this week or so. and some gloss. thx. so i shouldnt use any primer?

You didn't say plastic before. Back up, change of plans. I used to have a 1999 Wrangler Sport. You know those plastic fender flares they had, the ones that always fade to grey? I found the absolute best thing for them. I wanted them black but not a full gloss black, satin finish would be fine. I got some Honda Bumper Black spray paint from Carquest. Have never found it anywhere but Carquest. Spray it with a product called Plastic Prep by SEM before you paint. I also got it from Carquest. Don't prep with alcohol as it may weaken the plastic. If you don't prep it, it's gonna peel off. As far as other color Krylon Fussion would be my choice

flounderhead59 said:
You didn't say plastic before. Back up, change of plans. I used to have a 1999 Wrangler Sport. You know those plastic fender flares they had, the ones that always fade to grey? I found the absolute best thing for them. I wanted them black but not a full gloss black, satin finish would be fine. I got some Honda Bumper Black spray paint from Carquest. Have never found it anywhere but Carquest. Spray it with a product called Plastic Prep by SEM before you paint. I also got it from Carquest. Don't prep with alcohol as it may weaken the plastic. If you don't prep it, it's gonna peel off. As far as other color Krylon Fussion would be my choice

its like vinyl.

go to your local car upolstery shop - they will have spray cans of vinyl dye (not paint). I works great. I usd it when restoring a 56 plymouth a few years back. The dash was metal so that got painted, but the door panels and seat coves where vinyl. The dye is great......trust me on this one...

FishingCop said:
go to your local car upolstery shop - they will have spray cans of vinyl dye (not paint). I works great. I usd it when restoring a 56 plymouth a few years back. The dash was metal so that got painted, but the door panels and seat coves where vinyl. The dye is great......trust me on this one...

yea the dash is vinyl so i have been lookin at the vinyl spray. but i just need to know wat else i need. like primer. and gloss.

tompatt said:
FishingCop said:

yea the dash is vinyl so i have been lookin at the vinyl spray. but i just need to know wat else i need. like primer. and gloss.

I didn't need anything else but the vinyl spray. I dried with just the right semi-gloss finsish you would expect to see on new vinyl. Ask the people at the car upostery shop about it - then try it out on a sample piece that doesn't show...

Fishin NJ said:
Post up some before and after pictures. If you have the time.

Before.... Got to wait for the after pics. :D

Attachments

• 2668408_13_full.jpg
    2668408_13_full.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 808
  • 2668408_14_full.jpg
    491 bytes · Views: 803
just painted most of the parts today... and also decided to paint the door panels black also...its kool. its too dark now... so ill post pics tomm.

here r pics of the dash, steering column and door panels.. i like them..

Attachments

• P4090191.JPG
    P4090191.JPG
    553.9 KB · Views: 657
  • P4090192.JPG
    P4090192.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 659
  • P4090193.JPG
    P4090193.JPG
    557.3 KB · Views: 659
  • P4090194.JPG
    P4090194.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 658
THANKS FOR YALL'S HELP. I FINALLY GOT THE DASH IN AND IT LOOKS SWEET! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• P4240196.jpg
    P4240196.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 384
  • P4240197.jpg
    P4240197.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 382

Latest posts