Sick dog help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
My 1yo choc lab female quit eating saterday. Yesterday she threw up once, mostly foamy slobber, some grass and a few pieces of dog food. She was as energetic as always all day and last nite.
This am she had puke in her crate and was moving around pretty slow. She took a few licks out of the water bowl in the am and she took a lick or two on my lunch break. Now she Won't eat anything nor drink water.
I've been off work for an hour or so and she seems like she is getting worse, she's thrown up foamy slobber once since I've been off. Seems like shell drool bad for awile and it will stop.

I've got an appt first thing in the am for the vet. Couldn't leave work today and don't have the cash for an after hours vet bill.

I figured if she was poisened she would of died by now. I guess my main concern is how can I keep her hydrated? Hold her mouth open and pour it down her thoat? Gatoraid better?

Any help is much obliged, I think if she can make it threw tonight shell have a chance

I forgot to add

We thaught she was pregnant, her back tits look to me like there is milk sacks behind them. She gained alittle weight the last month or two, and seems to have slimmed back down.

After watching how small her belly is when throwing up I don't see how their could be any puppies in there when they are due the 1st. Yall ever experianced a false pregnancy, think they could of died inside her?

What made you think she was pregnant in the first place?

Also, don't force feed anything. Are her gums a normal healthy moist light pink or are they pale and tacky?

Also, is she urinating a defecating normally?

Mike - If it is dead pups inside of her that is not a good thing and that type of poison is never a good thing. Has she had a green like discharge for her girl parts? The other thing it could be is that she got ahold of a toad, do you have them in your area? some of the signs could leave me to believe that could be it, foaming at the mouth and the throwing up along with a very confused look. If that is the case rinse her mouth very well with the hose and make her comfortable. The vet would only give her valum to make her relax and hope for the best. How much does she weight?

sorry typing fast

May be a little to long for the the toad thing it should only last about 24 hours or so, still could be but I am not sure? Hope all turns out good!!!!!!

I am no vet nor a DR but i have heard if a person cant keep water down that an enema may help with the hydration. Take a small tube and insert into the rectum, the other end of the tube should attach to an I.V. type bag with water. Try this at your own risk(your dogs risk), Like I said I am no Dr. or vet. Good luck with this situation. I hope the best for your dog.

Man my mind is racing now - she could be going into labor and being so young she is upset a not sure what she should do, every female is different is she nesting or looking like she can't get comfortable? Just trying to help I have a very soft spot for dogs. Have you called the vet sometimes they can lead you down the right path without a trip to an after hours vet which can be very $$$$$$$ I know be there one to many times

Nothing abnormal comming out of there. Just vomit and diarea.
Finially got ahold of a emergency vet that would give me some free advice, said it sounded like an obstruction or virus.

Ole girl can barely keep her eyes open, her belly is hot to the touch

Her gums look ok. No pottys since this am. She went to Tue yard twice but stands there with a blank stare

I didn't force anything, was waiting for a yay or nay. Vet lady said u can try to giver her a few drops but she has lock jaw when I tryed.

We thaught she was pregnant because the neighbors dog got in my pin and did the dirty while she was in her 1st heat. She put on weight, tits got bigger, ect. A month ago everybody told me she looked preggo, now not so much. Maybe it was a puberty think idk this is only my second dog and first female

https://drbarchas.com/dietary_indiscretion

try to get her to eat some baby food until you can get her to the vet tomorrow. This has happened to my parents dogs a couple times in the past year. The vet gave them shots and some medicine and they were fine.

Good luck!!

Loggerhead Mike said:
Nothing abnormal comming out of there. Just vomit and diarea.
Finially got ahold of a emergency vet that would give me some free advice, said it sounded like an obstruction or virus.

Ole girl can barely keep her eyes open, her belly is hot to the touch

Could be an obstruction are you missing any toys, bones, tools etc. it is amazing what they will eat. Someone else mentioned her gums are they nice and pink or pale

Thanks for the quick advice fellers. Gums look good. Vet said I an try an enema ( I'm not ) or just wait till the am

There is no telling if she ate Somthing. She's worse than a goat!

Thanks fellers, ill be fine if I can get mama to calm down, she's going to put me in the grave with the dog

Thanks for the link moberg, those are all her symptoms. If you go outside I'm sure you and the rest of macon county can here my old lady freaking out lol hope this will calm her down

you might try to get her to lick ice to ease her thirst.

if i were to try to get her to drink a non-water substance i would try pedialite.

sounds like a blockage to me.(i had one once)
does she ever play with or show intrest in rocks?

Good luck be sure to let us know how everything turns out. Wish we had a Real Vet on here I could use them from time to time myself.

How old is your doggie?

From past experiences with my other dogs, when they eat grass, they are doing that to settle an unset stomach. Did you see the recall notice on some dry dog foods recently?

i had a dog with the same problem.it turned out to be a chunk of tennis ball stuck in the intestine.wasn't cheap.buddy at work lost his golden retriever to a digestive problem with the same symtoms.nothing the vet could do to fix.get it checked asap.

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it

In the vet now. No blockages, were waiting on blood and poo tests. Doc thinks she ate some trash and got a good dose of bacteria, guess well find out shortly

Doc also said she had a false pregnancy or lost the puppys a few weeks ago

Well it sounds like she should be ok, I hope so. Let us know what the results are from the vet and what they gave/did for her.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog! I have a black lab myself.

Labs are notorious for eating/swallowing things that would amaze you. It sounds like your pup may have either a blockage or even possibly the stomach has flipped.

The vet may have an opinion, but you will need x-rays to confirm it if it is either of those. If it is a blockage, the vet may prescribe something to help ease in the digestion process to see if it will pass. If it is a flipped stomach, I believe sometimes they can unflip it simply by applying pressure to the abdomin in different spots. Most of the time, in both cases--it will require surgery. If it is a flipped stomach, I think its something like a 50% change it will happen again, and can be life threatening.

I hope it is just a blockage your pup will be able to pass it, or maybe that it is something else not serious. Either way, keep us posted and good luck!!

EDIT: Just read the last couple of post--Glad to hear no blockages and no flipped stomach. Hope she is fine!