Blue Green Algae really sucks, Don't touch it!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogman Ladue

Reaction score
I went out today, and the water temp was way up. The algae started to bloom. With all the hot weather my normal hole went from 68' on Thursday evening to 76' today at noon. The water was getting pretty scummy with all the new growth. Rod eyelets and reels were dripping with the stuff. Beaches were "furry" with the wash. Blue Green Algae has been a real problem in the Great Lake areas. The stuff is toxic to wildlife and humans. Today I found out how toxic it is to humans... #-o

Late morning, I took my buddy and his wife out for some fishing. These two never seen a boat ramp in thier lives, so the ramp work is all on me. No ramps here, beach load only. So, roll up the pant legs, stomp through the Algae. Spend a few hours fishing. Stomp through the algae again when leaving. Got home, unloaded everything, and took a nap for a few hours. I woke up to OMG burning and itch from my toes to thighes. It truly feels like poision ivy/oak. Ivy remedy lotions and allergy lotions are not working...it has it's own unique toxin. My skin is currently "crawling", and I want to scratch the itch with a belt sander. Stay Away From The Algae!

...another thing, it will kill dogs if they drink water contain the Algae.