Another boating accident

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sixgun86 said:
Along with the four killed, eight people were injured when two johnboats — flat-bottomed boats often made of aluminum

These were Jon boats.

Prayers go out to their families.
"Along with the four killed, eight people were injured when two johnboats — flat-bottomed boats often made of aluminum — crashed in the O'Connell Slough area of the river, where the water is 10 to 12 feet deep, before 2 a.m. Saturday. One of the boats was carrying 11 people; the other had a single passenger."

Sounds like a bunch of drunk kids ran into one, lone fisherman.

11 people in a johnboat at 2 in the morning ??? [-X

DocWatson said:
sixgun86 said:
Along with the four killed, eight people were injured when two johnboats — flat-bottomed boats often made of aluminum

These were Jon boats.

"Along with the four killed, eight people were injured when two johnboats — flat-bottomed boats often made of aluminum — crashed in the O'Connell Slough area of the river, where the water is 10 to 12 feet deep, before 2 a.m. Saturday. One of the boats was carrying 11 people; the other had a single passenger."

You nailed it! My buddy has a cabin just downriver and fishes in that area. Said the fishing was all screwed up because they had it blocked off to look for the bodies. Supposedly head-on, but thats hearsay cause I wasn't there.

Here is an update on the accident, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/iowa-sheriff-boats-in-fatal-mississippi-river-crash-were-shuttling-partiers-crashed-head-on/2012/05/21/gIQA4mV8fU_story.html

Quick synopsis both boats were ferrying people to a sandbar for a party, The one man boat had just dropped people off and the other was bringing more people to the party. One of the boats did not have working lights. They collided head on. The loaded boat had the bow torn off, the single man boat had little damage. The single man boat rescued all but the 4 that drowned. All have been found and the names of the deceased are listed in the article.

Dragonman said:
Here is an update on the accident, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/iowa-sheriff-boats-in-fatal-mississippi-river-crash-were-shuttling-partiers-crashed-head-on/2012/05/21/gIQA4mV8fU_story.html

Quick synopsis both boats were ferrying people to a sandbar for a party, The one man boat had just dropped people off and the other was bringing more people to the party. One of the boats did not have working lights. They collided head on. The loaded boat had the bow torn off, the single man boat had little damage. The single man boat rescued all but the 4 that drowned. All have been found and the names of the deceased are listed in the article.
At least it didn't involve a fisherman. :roll:

Tragic... Just goes to show how dangerous it can be on the water at night, and I hate to say it--but, stupidity doesn't help. Although still improper, something as simple as a flashlight may have prevented this.... or working night time lights... or life jackets... or not weighing down a jon boat with 11 people. It's sad, but when people don't give water the respect it deserves, these sort of catastrophic accidents can happen.

DocWatson said:
sixgun86 said:

These were Jon boats.

Agreed, only person i feel sorry for is the fisherman, the kid's coulda drowned for all i care. Pure stupidity even when i was that age even though i'm not much older i was never that careless and disrespectful as kid's are now, just makes me sick.

*edit* Still dont feel sorry for their dumbasses

James, I believe they said it was 2 boats taxiing people out to an island for a party... 1 had dropped off kids and headed back to the mainland while the other had a load of people on it--and they collided... no fisherman involved (i believe if im reading that right)

As far as caring less about the kids who drowned, I have to disagree. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... that's someone's baby--the stupidity/ignorance of the kids doesn't trump the sadness of the result. Heck, as a kid I did enough stupid stuff its a wonder how I made it... I'm sure that's true with most of us here. When your young--you feel invincible. It just hopefully doesn't take a tragedy such as this to realize your not...

Bigkat650 said:
James, I believe they said it was 2 boats taxiing people out to an island for a party... 1 had dropped off kids and headed back to the mainland while the other had a load of people on it--and they collided... no fisherman involved (i believe if im reading that right)

As far as caring less about the kids who drowned, I have to disagree. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... that's someone's baby--the stupidity/ignorance of the kids doesn't trump the sadness of the result. Heck, as a kid I did enough stupid stuff its a wonder how I made it... I'm sure that's true with most of us here. When your young--you feel invincible. It just hopefully doesn't take a tragedy such as this to realize your not...

eh maybe i was a little harsh, but i still think kid's now a days are idiots

JamesM56alum said:
Bigkat650 said:

eh maybe i was a little harsh, but i still think kid's now a days are idiots

It's hard to argue that... it's the age of smart phones and stupid people

I just can't fathom running a river at night with that many people in a boat...let alone with no lights. There are so many ways that could have went bad, they definitely seemed to be asking for it. As previously said it is a very sad turn of events that will affect many lives for a long time after a tragedy as such. If kids would just think for a minute and realize how quickly a "fun" time can turn into the last time I think things like this would not happen as often. We were all young a dumb at some point, I guess the lucky ones hopefully learn from others mistakes, or get by anyway...feel for the family and friends of those who died.

Latest posts