Hatfield and McCoys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
Who's watching it on the history channel?
Who has an opinion?
Being from up north/Yankee I didn't know much about it other than it was a feud.
My opinion after 2 of the 3 parts is the McCoy's were the cause of the problem.

my pvr only recorded 2 hrs of it so i didnt catch the last 1/2 hr. of the first episode :evil: i set it to record again. i'm liking it so far.hatfield took off running in the first part.kind of cowardly if you ask me.i dont think id forgive that.

Yeppers, i'ts a rerun from awhile back, I actually wrote a short story in highschool about them, they'er pretty interesting if you research them. Not too long ago a couple of winchester riffles popped up in TN in an old jail house that some one said thay had something to do with the battle between hatfield an mccoy. Seeing as they were lever action it would be possible they were from that age, most people say they used flint lock which even at the time of the battle flint lock was pretty much dead not counting a few mountain men using them for hunting bear. and the hatfield's were more well off than most hillbilly's at the time and usually had the best of their area and i really dont see them using flintlock's knowing they would have way better fire power in the lever action.

I watched the first ten minutes and turned it off. There's nothing that turns me off more than a faked southern accent, and Hollywood can never seem to get that one right. To me, a faked southern accent is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I've lived in the south all my life and for the life of me I can't ever remember hearing an accent like the ones the portray in the movies. The second part was the fact that most of the actors are potbellied. Take a look at any of the real photos of the time and see if you can find anyone who had a potbelly. Life in southern Appalachia was difficult at best and nobody, but nobody, had enough food and so little exercise that they were able to grow a potbelly.

I too thought it was a good show. When I lived in Knoxville I actually worked with a couple of guys that were direct decedents of both sides, we would always tease the guys when we were working. If anyone has been to Lake City Tn you could actually see what true hillbilly life is all about. The folks that live in that city still live off the land, just as portrayed in the movie. They even make moonshine to this day....boy was it strong firewater. That is what I love about this country, even the poor people in that area would give you the shirt off their backs, but never cross the family bonds there. They live their lives like all of their forefathers, the true american mountain men.

Thanks for the reminder.. a couple of my buddies told me to watch it..

and since im not from the south i think all accents are faked :)

I did watch it all with my wife. We enjoyed it for what it was. I'm still wanting to know more and will eventually (soon) do some of my own reading/research to see how accurate the Hollywood version actually was.

But....I thought it was enjoyable (coming from someone who doesn't watch much TV at all)

Mumbling, fake southern drawls with a plug of tobacky in their mouths made it hard to figure out what they were trying to say most of the time.

Popeye said:
Mumbling, fake southern drawls with a plug of tobacky in their mouths made it hard to figure out what they were trying to say most of the time.

I TOTALLY agree with that. Too many times my wife and I looked at each other and said, "What he just say"

I hate that, I have bad hearing anyway. And then you crank up the volume up and then something happens and the next thing you know the tv is blaring! IT'S FRUSTRATING I TELL YA!! :evil:

Latest posts