...speaking of mid life crisis...hmmmmm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHAT! How about the new Shelby GT 1000.
should work with 1000 HP. sounds like "FUN". =P~
Now if only I were a little younger, and not a chevy man! :lol:

I worked with a guy from an old dealership and his boss had an original back in the day. Said it was like giving a loaded pistol to a 5 year old when you drove it.

I always wanted to build one of the factory five kits until I looked one over at a car show.... guy was like get in and check it out!.. Honestly, I thought to myself if I get in there they would be prying me out.. very little room for a fat man. So I ended up putting a 500 hp stroker in a convertible mustang. lol (which is for sale btw)

I bought one of those in 66. Had it for about three weeks. Left it in the sun too long one day and the plastic melted. Neat model though. Wish I could have had the real thing.

HANGEYE said:
I bought one of those in 66. Had it for about three weeks. Left it in the sun too long one day and the plastic melted. Neat model though. Wish I could have had the real thing.
Ha ha this made me laugh. My cousin has the Kit car with a 351 Cleveland...it hauls butt.

just out of curiosity in 1967 I went to a local ford garage and priced a 427 cobra.
If my memory is correct, the price was $6,800.00. that was one heck of a pile of money back then.
just to put it into perspective: my "66" 427 425 hp. impala listed for $3,800, and a 426 HEMI car could be bought for app. $4,200.
I think the "bare bones" L-72 biscayne could be bought for around $2,800.
these prices don't sound like much today, but minimum wage in 1966 was $1.25 an hr. and good money was $3-$4 per hr. I started at Beth. steel in 1970 @ $2.64 per hr.. think I cleared $188, and $192 every 2 wks. the $4.00 difference was union dues.
GUESS I'M SHOWING MY AGE ON THIS ONE :wink:

overboard said:
just out of curiosity in 1967 I went to a local ford garage and priced a 427 cobra.
If my memory is correct, the price was $6,800.00. that was one heck of a pile of money back then.
just to put it into perspective: my "66" 427 425 hp. impala listed for $3,800, and a 426 HEMI car could be bought for app. $4,200.
I think the "bare bones" L-72 biscayne could be bought for around $2,800.
these prices don't sound like much today, but minimum wage in 1966 was $1.25 an hr. and good money was $3-$4 per hr. I started at Beth. steel in 1970 @ $2.64 per hr.. think I cleared $188, and $192 every 2 wks. the $4.00 difference was union dues.
GUESS I'M SHOWING MY AGE ON THIS ONE :wink:

In 1968 I bought a used 1965 Mustang with a 289 and three on the floor out of the back lot of a Ford dealer who had a worker's strike going on for $1500. They wanted to clear out their trade in cars. Yes, it was a lot of money back then and because this was my first car I bought myself, my parents were kind enough to co-sign the loan for me. It took almost four years to pay it off on Uncle Sam's income!

bigwave said:
HANGEYE said:
Ha ha this made me laugh. My cousin has the Kit car with a 351 Cleveland...it hauls butt.
About a hundred years ago, I had a '70 Gran Torino with a 351 Clevland in it. I dumped it late one night coming home from work on the PA Turnpike at 130 mph & still climbing. Even in a mid-size car those engines kicked butt !!!! BTW - I walked away from that wreck with a bruised knee and a new respect for speed. Haven't been over 85 mph on the ground since then.

In 1968 I bought a used 1965 Mustang with a 289 and three on the floor out of the back lot of a Ford dealer who had a worker's strike going on for $1500. They wanted to clear out their trade in cars. Yes, it was a lot of money back then and because this was my first car I bought myself, my parents were kind enough to co-sign the loan for me. It took almost four years to pay it off on Uncle Sam's income![/quote

HEY! I was in then =D> ! weren't we making about $0.17 an hr.? but at least we got pd. 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a wk.
we could get more with overseas pay, and rank though :USA1:

About a hundred years ago, I had a '70 Gran Torino with a 351 Clevland in it.

My first car was a '74 gran torino "elite". It had the 351windsor in it. While it was a pretty indestructable motor for a 16 year old it was by NO means a powerhouse! lol By '74 the gas crisis was on and it was gutless.

I think my dad gave 3 or 4 hundred for it and it was 10 years old.

Bought a dead stock '59 Corvette in '69 for $800. I spent a year and another $2000+ de-valuing the car. Sold it 6 months later. Should have just left it alone and put it in storage. :LOL2:

Attachments

• Corvette.jpg
    Corvette.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 424
gillhunter said:
Bought a dead stock '59 Corvette in '69 for $800. I spent a year and another $2000+ de-valuing the car. Sold it 6 months later. Should have just left it alone and put it in storage. :LOL2:
yea! probably one part from it is worth more than you paid for the whole car! :lol:
I still play with this stuff. It's amazing what some of these parts are bringing.

gillhunter said:

I know the routine. Should-a, would-a, could-a................ :roll:

nomowork said:
gillhunter said:

I know the routine. Should-a, would-a, could-a................ :roll:

The story of my life :LOL2:

Latest posts