Just got the dog out of surgery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
So 14 days ago I fed my dog a corn cob at a BBQ. Not knowing it was bad for her. Come to find out she ate 2 more corn cobs that day. She had been throwing up every morning for the last week or so and I knew there was something wrong. We took her to the vet yesterday and the x rays saw a mass in her stomach. Knowing we were going out of town to get married, and knowing I messed up, and knowing the consequences we decided to get surgery to remove the mass in her belly. The mass ended up being a bunch of partial eaten cobs. Lots of them.

The x rays and work yesterday was $450 and the surgery today was $1142. It saved my dogs life. The cobs left in her stomach were at the entrance to her large intestine and more than likely would have caused a major problem.

I feel like the biggest piece of crap hurting my dog. I just did not know any better. She has a 10" incision on her belly with approx 20 staples. She is in pain but the pain killers are helping. It is tough on all of us as Steph and and I leave for Mexico to get married on Monday morning.

This is the first time in my life I have ever hurt any of my friends severely and it sucks. I love my dog and this is tough. Trying to stay positive.

You didn't hurt your dog intentionally and we all make mistakes. What is important is that you caught it in time and you didn't hesitate to shell out $1500 bucks to save her life.......... =D>

This was a good story to read for all dog owners, I never knew corn cobs could do this to a dog either. Thank you for sharing your story....... could very well save another 4 legged friend by doing so. :)

Hazel, my dog, woke up this morning like nothing even happened. Shes tough as nails. Shes eating and drinking like normal as well. Fyi she is a 85+ pound american bulldog.

When it comes to "family", money is no object. The unconditional love you get in return is worth any money spent.

Congratulations and hope for the best in your future! =D>

bulldog said:
Hazel, my dog, woke up this morning like nothing even happened. Shes tough as nails. Shes eating and drinking like normal as well. Fyi she is a 85+ pound american bulldog.

Glad to here she is doing well. I have 4 american bulls all pushing 100lbs and they are truely tough as nails and more loving than any human could ever be.

and good luck and best wishes on your wedding =D>

Glad to hear your dog is ok, I love american bulldogs, my dad raises them. They are one of the best dogs out there, next to my ole boy. Congratulations on your wedding.

She is doing great. Still on the pain killers for a few more days and is acting a little drunk but all in all she is awesome.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Glad to hear she's doing well and it wasn't your fault. I've spent a little time with you and know you have a good heart and would never do that on purpose.

Congrats on getting married. Hope you and your bride have many, many years of happiness together.

Give me a call when you get back and we can hook up on those latches.

Add grapes to docs list. Some breeds can have a reaction that could, if untreated, lead to renal failure. Glad Hazel is doing well.

I had a beagle when I was a kid. He must have swallowed a piece of a corn cob when we were out hunting. The corn cob got stuck in his intestines. He had to have surgery to remove it. The dog was fine afterwards and lived a normal healthy life.

Glad to hear your dog is doing well. Hope you have a blast in Mexico. I am going to Jamaica to get married in Oct. Let us know how your trip went.

Latest posts