Interesting DOT playing Big Brother article

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Here's an article that I found linked to W2F about DOT regulations and how that applies to Pro fishermen and their rigs.

Another case of Big Brother stepping in where he doesn't belong IMHO.

https://insideprobass.com/2011-08-17-22-20-26/kevin-short/126-not-for-hire

You know, there is the letter of the law and the intent of the law. I call BS on the MVE guys that stopped Kevin. They know darn well that law was not intended for the purpose they used it for. My opinion is that the MVE guy was over zelous and bored!

The level to which this infuriates me is difficult to describe.

Not because I'm a fan of the particular pro fisherman (honestly I don't know any pro bassers).

Because the DOT regs are there to monitor and regulate companies/individuals making a living at doing the driving. It so happens that this guy makes a living at doing something that requires him to drive from place to place. His levels of success have granted him the opportunity to attain sponsors to help shoulder the cost of traveling the tournament circuit (which can't be cheap).

IMO, this is an example of unhappy cops taking out the angst in their life by trying (and apparently succeeding) in ruining someone else's day because they weren't in exact compliance with the laws.

I'm going to stop here because there are several more things I want to say but I don't want to offend folks.

This really shouldn't be a surprise, try being a small business owner in the service industry.

It will only get worse as the government gets more and more desperate to pay its bills.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The intent is not the same if you are your own equipment. Now, he was pulling his boat for pleasure puposes, no work/income involved. It was just a fishing trip. Seems like he isn't 'commercing' at all.

Well being a truck driver, bassgeek I know what your saying it was not meant for that type off truck. Wasilvers he makes money with that truck and boat. If he were pulling a different boat it way work. As bassgeek said Mr. MVE had nothing better to do and was bored. That's why you see alot of trucks reg. for 9900lbs.
just another way to stick it to the guy trying to make a buck.

Mr. MVE Officer,:"Sir, been up to Lacrosse looking around before the big tournament next month?”
K-Pink: “Yep. Big river, lots of water. Figured I needed to go up and find my way around a little.”

The guys obviously running a commercial vehicle, I don't see why he thinks PUCO/ISC/DOT laws don't apply to him.

Welcome to the trucking industry. I'm sure it cost him a lot of money to become dot compliant but I don't understand why he thinks the laws don't apply to him. He states right in the article the laws he is in violation of.

Frogman Ladue said:
Ironically enough, if he would have placed the title of his entry "Not for Hire", whether it be in marker or vinyl, on both sides of the truck....he would have been fine.

This is a very interesting thought.

Latest posts