Homeboat ramp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
I have buddy that has private pond. He would like to install boat ramp in it for dropping his 14' crestliner flatbottom in easier. The bottom is very soft when walk around edges one sinks ankle to knee deep in mud. also has a cut bank with about 3'-4' drop. however that would not be issue because have a tractor with loader I could cut it out.

Has anyone ever done this? What could I use to firm up shoreline?
I was thinking of doing a treated plywood base with concrete pavers siliconed down to it.
Or with having access to loader tractor wonder if went to rock pile, dumped rocks in and then trying to build off that. But wonder how much maintenance that would need after winter freezing.

Also maybe thinking a system with long treated boards extended from shore back into water with rollers attached and wench on top end to crank boat in and out of water.

I'm not following you, are you talking a ramp to launch the boat from a trailer or a rig to slide the boat itself down? I built a simple ramp in my fathers pond with a tractor, fairly straightforward, but mine was built on the dam end, so the bottom was clay instead of the silt/muck you're describing. I simply cut the grade and applied a dozen or so 8' tractor buckets of shale, it's held up well for 5 yrs

Would rather do a ramp. But if that was not possible with soft as bottom is do some type of boat slide. One does sink just walking knee deep in mud walking in water. Wonder if one could put enough fill in to make it reliably firm?

Your best bet for a solid bottom would mostly likely be the area around the dam as long as it isn't too steep an incline. I don't know what shale prices are in your area, but around here a small to medium dump truck load (5-10ton) would probably only cost $100-$200 delivered, should give you enough for a 1'-2' thick layer for the ramp if graded properly, and still cost far less than buying treated lumber.

put down some geogrid,then gravel.the geogrid keeps it from sinking.it looks like plastic netting.we use it for access roads over fields,swamps,hills,you name it.

geogrid is great stuff when it comes to lessening compaction in a landscape. cool idea

Latest posts