just bought an 8ft net

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
Well let me start by saying im used to a 5-6ft castnet. Being about 5'7" I felt kinda intimidated with a bigger net. After multiple trips though I just felt like I was wasting my time with my 5ft net. Well fate came calling and a few days ago I got my net stuck and it was done for. Well I had been researching nets for a while and decided go big or go home. Purchased my 8ft net and practicrd in the yard and all I gotta say is it opens alot better and easier than my 5 and 6 did. I highly reccomend it to anybody about to purchase a net go with a 7 or an 8.

I use it for Mullet 2-4" for fishing and for Mullet 10"+ for grilling. I also use it for shrimp. Its 3/8" mesh. I wanted 1/4" but all they had was 3/8". Not sure of what kind if info you are looking for. Its just a $50 one from walmart

thegr8cody said:
Well let me start by saying im used to a 5-6ft castnet. Being about 5'7" I felt kinda intimidated with a bigger net. After multiple trips though I just felt like I was wasting my time with my 5ft net. Well fate came calling and a few days ago I got my net stuck and it was done for. Well I had been researching nets for a while and decided go big or go home. Purchased my 8ft net and practicrd in the yard and all I gotta say is it opens alot better and easier than my 5 and 6 did. I highly reccomend it to anybody about to purchase a net go with a 7 or an 8.

3-6 foot nets have there place tight spots etc. But a nice 8-10 foot net is hard to beat and I do think they are easier to throw also. Plus one good throw and you could be done chasing bait and get on with the fishing

Here in Il, you must be careful to get the right size. An 8' diameter or 4' radius is legal, anything bigger is illegal. Walmart and some bait shops I have visited sell both 4' and 5' radius nets. make sure you read the size and dont just grab one thinking it is fine.

All cast nets shall be not larger than 8 feet in diameter or of
a mesh size not larger than 3/8 inch bar measurement.

Except taken from
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/fishing/Documents/IllinoisFishingInformation.pdf
page 2 under the heading Bait fishing.

Just a FYI.

diameterradiuscircumference.jpg

8.5 Radius?? that would be a big net= 17' diameter. 4'radius = 8'diameter the max legal net in Il. But hey if it is legal there by all means use it, I just cant imagine throwing a 17' net.

Jim we use the cast nets to catch bait fish for catching sport fish on poles, jugs, trotlines and of course rod and reel. Catfish as well as many other fish like the live bait over artificial lures.

Yep, it covers alot of water. I wanna throw one of those 12ft ones like that,guy does on Spanish fly.but the 8ft one is a piece of cake to throw. Just sucks tryin to get itready since its so tall

Latest posts