Fifth grade math test...if you're up to it?!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdover73

Reaction score
This was sent to me in an email.

There is a bus.
On the bus there are seven girls.
Each girl has seven backpacks.
In each backpack there are seven BIG cats.
For each BIG cat there are seven little cats.
There is no driver on the bus.

How many legs total are on the bus?

This is not a trick question. The answer is NOT "a bus don't have legs"!! There is an actual numeric answer that is relatively easy to figure out...at least for a fifth grader! No hints, no tricks - just simple math. I will tell you that these are normal girls and normal cats. Two and four legs each, respectively.

I will give you a while on this and check in periodically to see who answers right. If you're like me, it will drive you crazy for a while. But, the average fifth grader can do it in less than ten minutes!! If you think you got it, post it! I will provide the right answer before this thread goes dead.

You can do either. It won't matter if you post the answer. If we start getting enough answers we may poll them to make it easier. The original email I have had an excel file attachment with it that you were supposed to enter your name in once you got the answer. The trick was, the spreadsheet was password protected and the passwrod was the right answer. So, you couldn't open it to enter your name until you got it right! Drove me freakin nuts!!

Also, it really is not a trick question. You don't count the legs of the seats on the bus. Only the girls and cats. Come on...it's simple math! :twisted:

I had that as an extra credit question on a test a while back...except it was toes instead of legs :shock: . I didn't get it and I'm not about to bring up memories of that class trying that question again

Pretty simple....10990 legs on the Bus.

Broke down. One girl at a time.

7x7=49 (backpack X big cats)

49X7=343 (big cats X little cats)

343 + 49=392 (total cats)

392X4=1568 (total cats X 4 legs)

1568 + 2= 1570 (total cat legs + girl legs)

1570X7=10990 (total legs X 7 girls)

Sound about right to me. Beside how many cats does one girl need?

That didn't take as long as I expected! I would have betted that all the sun beating down on all them heads from fishing so much would have had an effect!! :lol: Guess that goes to show that sniffing stink bait don't kill brain cells after all!!! Good job.

How can each girl carry 7 backpacks.?

Are they planning on drowning the cats - is that why they have them stuffed into back packs?

Where are the cats going the bathroom?

What does the bus smell like?

Is it a regular bus or a short bus?

What do the girls look like - they have a lot of cats - only one person that i know of has that many cats

simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

I need more info to answer this question

**** nj you worked that out much better than I did, I got the right answer but took me a while, when i was in 5th grade we didnt get calculators i hope these kids got em that would have taken me forever without one

There is a bus.

14 legs on the bus.

Here's another....
As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with 7 wives. Each wife had 7 cats. Each cat had 7 kits. Kits, cats, man and wives, how many were going to St. Ives??

DocWatson said:
There is a bus.

14 legs on the bus.

Here's another....
As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with 7 wives. Each wife had 7 cats. Each cat had 7 kits. Kits, cats, man and wives, how many were going to St. Ives??

maybe some of the girls are holding up there legs... have u ever thought about that? LOL :D JUST ONE... U. haha im in 10th and im smarter than a 5th grader.

tompatt said:
DocWatson said:
There is a bus.

14 legs on the bus.

Here's another....

maybe some of the girls are holding up there legs... have u ever thought about that? LOL :D
Wasn't part of the equation. :wink:

DocWatson said:
tompatt said:
DocWatson said:
There is a bus.

14 legs on the bus.

Here's another....

maybe some of the girls are holding up there legs... have u ever thought about that? LOL :D
Wasn't part of the equation. :wink:

ONE U! HAHA

Latest posts