Anyone know anything about PLUMBING?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Plumbing question...

Today I wanted to change my shower head and shower head arm. I took off the old shower head no problem. Then I tried to take off the shower head arm. I grabbed a hold of the sucker and started turning counterclockwise. I turned it about 15 times and it still wasn't budging. It was turning just fine, but not coming out. I thought to myself, "This arm can't have more than a dozen turns threaded on it." But it still wasn't coming out. Something else you should know... My entire house is plumbed with pvc. However, it appears that all the fixtures are connected to copper pipe. So I'm assuming that everytime the pvc gets to where a fixture is there is a little coupling that connects the pvc to the copper.

So here's my question...

When I turn the arm, is it possible that I'm not threading it out of the copper, but somehow turning the pvc/copper connector farther down the line? It doesn't feel like it's turning in threads, just like it's turning, if that makes sense. I must have turned the arm 20 times to the left. Did I loosen something? Should I turn it back 20 time to the right? What's going on here? Should I even attempt to use the shower or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks!

ps: This is the exact, exact, same situation I have with one of the hose bibs on the outside of my house. In both cases I'm afraid to turn the water on because I don't want to pour water into the house or between the walls.

if its set up the way i think it is there is a "collar" in the fitting that may just be turning. also not trying to offend you, what you are turning isnt just a decorative cover over the actual arm is it? i added a sediment filter that came with brass/cpvc(hot/cold use) that one side had brass threads and on the inside where the existing pipe glues into the threaded fitting was a cpvc collar. i think thats what you maybe turning. also what i do if i am not sure is i will go to lowes or the plumbing supply store and look at what they have or ask someone there.

I'm far from a plumber, but sounds like maybe the shower arm seized where it screwes into the copper and by turning it you may have loosened the glue where it went from copper to pvc, (it should be cpvc). when you turn the arm try to pull it out, maybe the arm and the connector will come out.

Where the arm comes out of the wall there should be some kinda cross brace and a tube strap which holds the pipe to the brace.

I live in a condo and recently had all of my shut off valves replaced with those quarter turn valves. I know this won't help your situation, but I figured if something went wrong during the process, the plumber would at the very least know what to do and have the resources to do it.

I vote for calling the plumber. Better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Are you sure everthing is PVC? I'd think that the sewer/drain is PVC, and pressurized pottable is copper. Seeing as yer in WI, I'd immagine it's copper due to freezing factor. I'm thinking one of two things is happening. A.) the arm is stripped at the copper in the wall. B.) it's attached via a compression fitting "think aim-able arm" and your just spinning in the compression fitting. Either way, it sounds like the arm is stuck in the wall. I'd call a plumber before you have to rip walls apart.

You guys all seem to be thinking the same way. This actually validates what I have been thinking too, after a lot of googling of course.

I'm just going to call a plumber. Looks like the wife will be showering in the guest bathroom tomorrow morning. :lol:

Thanks, everyone.

I called a guy. He'll be here tomorrow morning. Sound like he's going to have to cut the drywall, but it might be nice to have something removable around the showerhead.

Latest posts