My hitch is stuck!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvel Mystery Oil and you can throw some in your gas to stabilize the garbage ethanol as well. Put some on your crank and winch as well. AND it smells good I use it for deodorant. tahee

This might help haven't tried it yet

RUSTED BOLTS

For those of you that are using Kroil which is good, there is a better solution.

Machinist's Workshop (2007/04) magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker. The magazine arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a" scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil Average load
None 516 pounds
WD-40 238 pounds
PB Blaster 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench 127 pounds
Kano Kroil 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix 53 pounds

N.B. The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Sounds like the mechanism is jammed when it fits around the ball - try pushing the trailer away from the ball - if not attached, then you need to take it apart and reseat it

It attached?

Ill post a pic if I can figure out how... But its not that its stuck in the truck. the ball is rusted together to the big nut and lock washer.

theyyounggun said:
Ill post a pic if I can figure out how... But its not that its stuck in the truck. the ball is rusted together to the big nut and lock washer.
I see now. I would use an angle grinder to cut a slot though the nut and threaded part of the ball then buy a new ball. I use Master locks interchangeable hitch ball system.

I'm gone trout fishing right now. But when I get back a relative has a torch. I'll try that if anything else ill just cut it off and get a new one. :D thanks for all of the input =D>

Captain Ahab said:
Use the penetrating stuff as outlined above - let it sit for a few days (apply maybe 2x a day)

+1

Also, if you get a wrench with a longer handle, you can increase the torque on the nut...unless the whole thing is spinning when you try to loosen the nut.

fender66 said:
Captain Ahab said:
Use the penetrating stuff as outlined above - let it sit for a few days (apply maybe 2x a day)

+1

Also, if you get a wrench with a longer handle, you can increase the torque on the nut...unless the whole thing is spinning when you try to loosen the nut.

Yes. I was using a cheater pipe. I was using a crescent wrench that I use to change bush hogs blades on the nut and the teeth on a pipe wrench to grip the ball but it still won't move.

theyyounggun said:
fender66 said:
Captain Ahab said:

+1

Yes. I was using a cheater pipe. I was using a crescent wrench that I use to change bush hogs blades on the nut and the teeth on a pipe wrench to grip the ball but it still won't move.

Awe...just go buy a new bumper and hitch. Might be easier. Then again...you could also get a new tow vehicle. :LOL2:

Latest posts