Can a SMB and LMB cross breed?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Went fishing to day at One of South Jerseys SMB Lakes (Lake Audrey) well I caught another bass that was SMB Bronze on its back and side to the lateral line than it had the color of a LMB. I caught one of these before, we also caught LMB with no bronze back. Next time I'll take a picture of back and sides, anyway is it possible to cross breed?

I am almost certain that it is not - keep in mind that the color and marking on both species will change (greatly) depending on a number of factors, including, diet, water clarity and Ph to name a few

Easy way to tell what you caught, SM Bass jaw does not go past the middle of the eye. LM Bass always goes past the middle:

small_vs_large.gif

I just checked 'moo and it seems that it is possible. Your fish might have been natural crosses.

https://archives.in-fisherman.com/content/hybrid-black-bass

"In nearly all cases of hybridization outside the lab, smallmouth have been involved. Geneticist Dr. Dave Philipp, colleague of the late Dr. Childers, noted that fertilization of largemouth bass eggs with smallmouth sperm resulted in more successful crosses than the reciprocal cross (largemouth male and female smallie). The aggressive male smallmouth bass may be an instigator when introduced into waters outside its natural range where spawning sites are limited, or in altered habitats such as reservoirs."

Latest posts