I Love the Smell of Outboards in the Morning.....but

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Ok this is weird, so I dont blame you if you read this and think Im nuts, but..everytime we go out in the boat, when we get home I keep thinking I smell the outboard. And its not my clothes or me, this goes for a few days and other things trigger it, like the other day I opened a pack of rubber bands and BAM, it triggered the outboard smell for minutes...Again its not that the object smells, but it triggers the sensation of the smell.....

Premix smells great..

Just think if it were racing fuel and oil.. Even better.

Motox before the 4strokes.. Whole arena would smog out w/ sweet smell of high octane premix. It was beautiful.

I'm the same when it comes to nitro methane. It happens every time I see a video of top fuel and funny cars. It brings me to tears. :mrgreen:

TheMaestro said:
Ok this is weird, so I dont blame you if you read this and think Im nuts, but..everytime we go out in the boat, when we get home I keep thinking I smell the outboard. And its not my clothes or me, this goes for a few days and other things trigger it, like the other day I opened a pack of rubber bands and BAM, it triggered the outboard smell for minutes...Again its not that the object smells, but it triggers the sensation of the smell.....

DANG....you're weird. :mrgreen:

The smell of two-stroke or bacon in the morning ????? Too close to call.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

More than you wanted to know:

part of one of many reports on the power of smells---

The human sense of smell

Although the human sense of smell is feeble compared to that of many animals, it is still very acute. We can recognise thousands of different smells, and we are able to detect odours even in infinitesimal quantities.

Our smelling function is carried out by two small odour-detecting patches – made up of about five or six million yellowish cells – high up in the nasal passages.

For comparison, a rabbit has 100 million of these olfactory receptors, and a dog 220 million. Humans are nonetheless capable of detecting certain substances in dilutions of less than one part in several billion parts of air. We may not be able to match the olfactory feats of bloodhounds, but we can, for example, ‘track’ a trail of invisible human footprints across clean blotting paper.

The human nose is in fact the main organ of taste as well as smell. The so-called taste-buds on our tongues can only distinguish four qualities – sweet, sour, bitter and salt -all other ‘tastes’ are detected by the olfactory receptors high up in our nasal passages.
Variations

Our smelling ability increases to reach a plateau at about the age of eight, and declines in old age. Some researchers claim that our smell-sensitivity begins to deteriorate long before old age, perhaps even from the early 20s. One experiment claims to indicate a decline in sensitivity to specific odours from the age of 15! But other scientists report that smelling ability depends on the person’s state of mental and physical health, with some very healthy 80-year-olds having the same olfactory prowess as young adults. Women consistently out-perform men on all tests of smelling ability .

I dunno what to say, today I was out at the local pool with my kid and while Im sure it was overpowering with the stench of chlorine (and Im sure, urine), about halfway through our swim, BAM! And Im looking around in the pool to see if someone brought their tinny out for a test run.... 8-[

Isn't it funny how something will trigger a smell from something that was a pleasant memory from the past. Each of us have several "trigger smells" in our heads. the for mentioned bacon is a biggie. As a long time fisherman but also a long time bicycle rider the smell of the fine lubricant used on bike sprockets and gears haunts me. Every place I go there seems to be that aroma. However the odor of the outboard motor when it first starts up is so unique that it stands alone... nothing triggers that smell except the next time you start your motor... And then there is that "sent of a woman " thing..........

You have fumes disease.
Happens to all young men.
First its the scent of a women, then gas to drive her around, and finally money to pay for the first two.

It's a proven disease. I've seen it distract way too many young men all too often. There is only one cure and if you don't get the cure you reach the final stage, marriage. Then its game over!!!!!!

All I can say is; what octane of fuel and what oil you use??

Nothing like a good shot of two stroke smoke when you use the good stuff.

Then again I'm pretty partial of any good quality spent fuel :D smells

Latest posts