Not a boat but an AWESOME wrap none the less!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
I do a bunch matte black wraps a year and this one turned out pretty awesome. It is owned by a former Cardinals pitcher. Not that that is important but we did win the World Series last year and we have won 11 championships so far, just saying. :D It took me about 10 hours to wrap and it turned out amazing. The car started out as a nice shiny black. I wrapped every part of the car that was showing and shiny black. I wrapped inside the door jams, under the hood where I could, in the trunk on any paint. Anywhere I could wrap that can be seen is done. I get a couple projects a year that I can actually spend some time on and go above and beyond what anyone in the world can do. This is one of those projects.

The car is an 60's Chevelle SS and it is bad ***. (I'm sure someone here knows what year) Has a Chevy 572 with nitros. Has a heck of a cam in it and sounds absolutely amazing. The interior is very clean and the car all around is in great shape.

Attachments

• holy **** this is a lot of pictures 591.JPG
    holy **** this is a lot of pictures 591.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 517
  • holy **** this is a lot of pictures 588.JPG
    holy **** this is a lot of pictures 588.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 517
  • holy **** this is a lot of pictures 589.JPG
    holy **** this is a lot of pictures 589.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 517
  • holy **** this is a lot of pictures 590.JPG
    holy **** this is a lot of pictures 590.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 517
  • holy **** this is a lot of pictures 592.JPG
    holy **** this is a lot of pictures 592.JPG
    935.6 KB · Views: 517
CUBS are little bears and I don't think they can catch a Cardinal. :D

Bulldog: From the pictures the car doesn't looked rapped at all, it's a 66-67 Chevelle btw. Now I have to ask, the rapped you put on was it a clear matt finish or was it flat back to make it look like primmer?

Amazing work I don't see any seams in the picture

The material used is a flat black vinyl. To wrap a car in matte clear would be a nightmare. There is only one seam - if you look at the top of the window and follow the chrome trim piece that runs along the top of the window, the seam runs where that chrome stops to the rear window. I tried to follow the natural line of the window trim to make it flow together. Normally there is a body line somewhere in that area to hide the seams but on this car there was not so I had to work with what I was given. I hate having seams in a custom job like this and it makes me mad to think about it but they don't make material wide enough to make this car seamless.

Looks great in the photos. So the questions begin, seeing as how I never have seen this before or even heard of it. Although I have seen advertising on vehicles.
How much to wrap a car like that?
Does the wrap hold up as well as paint? washing, ultraviolet, etc..
How can it be done without seams all over? Is the vinyl that elastic?
Do people wrap motorcycles?

Tim

earl60446 said:
Looks great in the photos. So the questions begin, seeing as how I never have seen this before or even heard of it. Although I have seen advertising on vehicles.
How much to wrap a car like that?
Does the wrap hold up as well as paint? washing, ultraviolet, etc..
How can it be done without seams all over? Is the vinyl that elastic?
Do people wrap motorcycles?

Tim

To do this car, with all the extra work on the door jams, engine bay, ect, the cost of this wrap is just shy of $3000. We had quotes of up to $8000 to paint this car the exact same as I wrapped it. The painting process was quoted in as little as 2 weeks up to 2 months. I did this whole wrap in 10 hours. The vinyl that we used is an Avery product and has a warranty of 6 years. It conforms very well to curves and holds up very well to UV rays and regular washing. Due to all of the wraps that I have personally done over the years, upwards of 1000, we also warranty the install for the 6 year manufacter's warranty. As a company we will produce and install upwards of 300 wraps this year around the country. If ANYTHING peels or you are unsatisfied I will replace my work free of charge. All quality printers/installers will offer some sort of this and if they do not, run like hell. Everyone thinks they can install a wrap until it peels up 2 weeks later and the installer is no where to be found for warrant work. The vinyl is pretty elastic but all vinyl has "memory". You can stretch and heat the heck out of vinyl but it won't hold up for the test of time. If you stretch the vinyl, it wants to return to it's original size. Post heating any stretched area to a certain temperature is a must in order for the wrap to hold up. To do a wrap seamless, particularly solid color wraps, you just do each panel in a separtate piece. IE: do the front fender, then the door, then the rear fender and hide where the seams would go in the gaps of each panel.

As far as motorcycle wraps, we do a bunch of them. They hold up well and the detail you can do would be hard to replicate by a painter. I have attached a picture of an old custom "dragon" bike i had. There was 14 hours of design time and the install took about 12 hours. The laminate I used for this wrap has a ton of metal flake in it so it was extremely shiny in the sun like a bass boat. It was a new product at the time and I wanted to test it out before I sold it to my clients. For a one off custom wrap like this would run in the $2500 range. How bad do you want to not look over at a stop light and see someone with the same pait sceme as you? To some people it is worth the money. We do a lot of solid colors or carbon fiber vinyl wraps in the $500-$1000 range depending on a lot of factors.

I attached a picture of a RC car I did for a client of mine. We wrapped his full size monster truck the exact same way and he wanted an RC car for his kid. I just want to open your eyes to the possibilities. Litterally if you can imagine it I can produce it and make it happen. 10+ years in business and if the client had the time and money I have never been not able to produce a wrap for them.

The kryptonite to matte black vinyl is any sort of tire shine. It is so hard or impossible to get off if the vinyl.

Attachments

• dragon bike.jpg
    dragon bike.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 442
  • carbon wrap.jpg
    carbon wrap.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 442
  • carbon tank.jpg
    carbon tank.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 442
  • rc truck.jpg
    rc truck.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 442
TNtroller said:
very nice work, how hard is to avoid the air bubbles, etc. ???

The vinyl used for wrapping has a technology called "air regress" or "comply". It is basically grooves in the adhesive of the vinyl that allows for the air to spread out behind the vinyl and make it's way to the edge. If you get a bubble you just lightly press on it and it magically goes away. Seriously it is great. The vinyl has come a long way since I first started wrapping and is a lot easier to work with now than it was a few years back.

Latest posts