SNAKE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Saw this puppy outback, anyone know what kind it is.
IMG_1132.jpg

It is either a Black Rat Snake or Eastern Racer - either way a very good guy to have around (unless you are a mouse or rat)

They will keep your yard pest free

I also suggest you refrain from handling it - they do have teeth and tend to be unfriendly

Like BassAddict! :LOL2:

I would worry about that ringed snake in the background. That sucker looks 30-40 feet long!!!!!

I used to have a 9ft Venezuelan boa when I was living in an apartment. If you answer a door with a snake poised to strike they don't say anything they just walk away.

But since I've got a son I had to let Titan go

Captain Ahab said:
It is either a Black Rat Snake or Eastern Racer - either way a very good guy to have around (unless you are a mouse or rat)

They will keep your yard pest free

I also suggest you refrain from handling it - they do have teeth and tend to be unfriendly

Like BassAddict! :LOL2:
Speaking of Black Rat Snake vs. Black Racer, does anyone know how to tell them apart? Doesn't one have a white/pale yellow belly and one have a dark/splotchy belly?

We just call them all "black snakes" but i've seen both types. Yellow bellies seem to be more common here

Speaking of Black Rat Snake vs. Black Racer, does anyone know how to tell them apart? Doesn't one have a white/pale yellow belly and one have a dark/splotchy belly?

We just call them all "black snakes" but i've seen both types. Yellow bellies seem to be more common here

Yeah...I can tell you the difference. But first.....

That definitely is a Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta). Harmless, and I would not have hesitated picking that one up. He might have bit a few times, but they tame down very quickly most of the time..(there's always the exception...like BA and Capt. Ahab). I've been a commercial snake breeder since 1982 when I caught my first snake. It was a black rat snake that I named Cornelius. Had him for nearly 12 years before he died and he was an adult when I caught him in the neighbor's yard. He was a great pet.

Now the difference between Black Rat and Black Racer:

Black Rat: has shiny black keeled scales (crease running from front to back of each scale) on the back and side with a white underbelly often with black marks. Sometimes, depending on location, the black rat will have some red dotting on the sides of it's body too. (My personal experience has taught me that the ones with red dots don't tame down as quickly). Also, depending on the age of the snake, they may have some faint remnants of a white pattern in the black scales too. The older they get, the more they lose the white patterns. The juveniles are a heavily patterned snake but they grow out of their pattern and turn black as they mature. Black rats, in comparison to the Black/Blue Racer have a more pronounced jaw and triangular head (not like a venomous snake, but longer). Their primary died is rodents and birds. They do NOT eat other snakes.

Black/Blue Racer: has shinier black scales than a black rat and there is no keel in the scale. They have a white underbelly usually without the black marks. Due to the shine of the scale, they have a bit more of a florescent nature to them in the right lighting. I would NOT pick up a racer without gloves. They will continually bite you and, like someone else already mentioned...musk/poop on you until you release them. They almost NEVER tame down. Just like the Black rat, he juveniles are a heavily patterned snake but they also grow out of it and turn black as they mature. The Black Racer, in comparison to the Black Rat snake has less of a jawline and a bit more streamlined or thinner head shape. Their primary died is rodents and birds frogs, toads, lizards, and OTHER SNAKES. Yes, they will eat another snake.

As long as you don't disturb them, a black rat doesn't really mind too much to be watched, whereas the black racer, if they know you are there, will either take off very quickly, or become agitated quickly.

Hope that helps.

I see, so the heavier bodied, less shiny snake with the python-like head is the black rat and the "oil slick" shiny slender snakes are racers. Most of the racers I have seen were in hayfields, the tend to "stand up" to get a better look at you, then run before you have a chance to approach them. The rat snakes show up on the porch, in the barn and chicken house frequently, they don't seem to pay much attention to you unless they are harassed/cornered.

Very informative Fender, thanks for the insight 8)

Good info fender! I never knew there were two. We called them all black snakes or black racers. I have caught a many before, and I have had a bunch of them escape rather fast before I could catch them. Never been musked by one but I've been poo'd on by a bunch of snakes. Mainly hognoses. I usually don't give them a chance to bite me as I hold them right behind the head.

I wonder if the ones I could actually catch were black rat snakes, and the ones that got away were black racers? :-?

catmansteve said:
I see, so the heavier bodied, less shiny snake with the python-like head is the black rat and the "oil slick" shiny slender snakes are racers. Most of the racers I have seen were in hayfields, the tend to "stand up" to get a better look at you, then run before you have a chance to approach them. The rat snakes show up on the porch, in the barn and chicken house frequently, they don't seem to pay much attention to you unless they are harassed/cornered.

Very informative Fender, thanks for the insight 8)

Simplified beautifully. Those racers will stand up to see you if they have time to.

Don't always fall prey to the "heavier bodied" theory though. That's not always the case.

The black/blue racers are also relatives to the coachwhip snake. I've only seen one of those in the wild on a float trip. Very cool snake, but I can't tell you much about their temperament. I'd bet it's exactly like the racers.

I wonder if the ones I could actually catch were black rat snakes, and the ones that got away were black racers? :-?

The odds are....you are correct.

fender66 said:

He might have bit a few times, but they tame down very quickly most of the time..(there's always the exception...like BA and Capt. Ahab).

Hope that helps.

Only a BA bites - I just poop and flee!

Captain Ahab said:
fender66 said:

He might have bit a few times, but they tame down very quickly most of the time..(there's always the exception...like BA and Capt. Ahab).

Hope that helps.

Only a BA bites - I just poop and flee!

Remind me to NEVER grab you behind the neck... [-X [-X

Jim said:
That is a harmless black mamba. What you need to do is go pick it up and tickle it underneath its head....they love that.

:LOL2:
The only way I'll tickle that thing under its head is if its detached from its body :mrgreen:

Buddychrist said:
I used to have a 9ft Venezuelan boa when I was living in an apartment. If you answer a door with a snake poised to strike they don't say anything they just walk away.

But since I've got a son I had to let Titan go
I sure hope you don't mean literally "let Titan go" as in turned him lose in the wild. [-X

Latest posts