A morality question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
This past winter (is it really past yet?), during an ice fishing derby, I won a 1/2 day guided fishing trip for 2 on the Fox Chain with one of the premier fishing guides. My question is, would it be "right" to bring my handheld GPS to mark some hot spots? If I was paying the $300.00 I would be more inclined to say it is okay, but since I won it in a raffle, I'm hesitant. I'm not even sure if I should ask the guide. Would he guide me to less desirable spots if I bring it? Maybe I should try to rely on my keen sense of direction (I get lost driving down my driveway) and bear trap memory (long since rusted shut).

I do not think that you shoudl do that unless you have permission. If the guide says NO WAY then leave it at home. Most guides work hard to find fish producing spots for their customers, you are stealing if you do that without permission.

I know if you bring a hand held GPS on a charter or party boat aroudn here Davey Jones will receive a free gift, and you might get to visit him as well.

flounderhead59 said:
I would like to also add that this is mostly river fishing.

Being it's river fishing, and the river isn't extremely wide, I'd try to remember some landmarks on both sides (maybe 3 landmarks if possible & triangulate) when you get to the good spots. Or......take a camera and get some [location] shots for your photo album. I'm sure the guide has had customers that take pics when on the trips.

I would ask him if it is okay first. like esquired said these guys make a living out there.

I fished with a guide on ky lake and he marked my map for me when we got back to the ramp.
my trip was to learn the lake for a tournament that i was going to fish later in the year and I am sure he shared these spots with everyone who booked that kind of trip.
Now if it is a river you could as to pull to the bank to hit the head and spray paint a tree bright yellow and tell him it is medication :wink:

Wayne

redbug said:
Now if it is a river you could as to pull to the bank to hit the head and spray paint a tree bright yellow and tell him it is medication :wink:

Wayne

I'm laughing out loud @ redbug :lol:

I would just go enjoy the day and concentrate on the prize you won, if you remember the places, fine, if you dont, fine, hes probably wondering if your going to whip it out also. Did you read his pamphlet, Do you remember seeing any word that sounded like blindfolded? :wink:

I'm gonna just not take it. He has a web site where former guests can log in for reports and tips so I would think he wouldn't really mind but why push the issue. I fish some of the same waters he guides so I'm sure I'll remember some spots. Besides someone once told me fish swim and rivers shift. Just because they are there today, doesn't mean they'll be there next week. As long as I pay attention to what I need to look for to find the fish, I should be able to find them on my own.

I wouldn't take it. Here is the main reason I say that, sure ou may know "the spots" if you do take it, but at what cost? Not only that but knowing "spots" is only a small part of the equation. What I would do is take the opportunity while fishing to pick the guides brain on why each spot you may end up at is attractive. What to look for when fishing that particular river at different times of the year. That way in the future you can find multiple places to try on your own instead of looking at a gps graph. You will also get a TON more information that way by giving him an opportunity to impart his knowledge and experience.

Latest posts