Fishing Road Trip USA

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
I read the thread on the idea of a TV show about tinboats.net and so as not to high jack, I 'll start a new thread.

From 2006:

I’ve had some interesting and eventful fishing trips with an extremely diverse group of people, and Friday may have been a pinnacle for this type of float. It all started about the end of March with an email from a gentleman named Ricky Walker. He was inquiring as to my interest in filming a fishing program. A fishing program from the United Kingdom, with a gentleman named Paul Young, no less. I ignored the email, as this type of thing is arriving to my inbox way too often. My doubts were sent into a tailspin a few days later when I arrived home from work, with my wife informing a had just missed a phone call from Ricky Walker. She explained what he had told her, and I really didn’t know what to think. I needed to research this and Googled the two names. A lot of websites with those names showed up, along with TV shows related to fishing.

My next step was to verify the validity of all this. With Fairline Productions and “Hooked on Fishing” being a product of the U.K., specifically Glasgow, Scotland, I needed to contact someone in the know. An e-mail went to an aquintance from Glasgow, Scotland. I was informed in no uncertain terms, that Mr. Young was the real deal, and I had best U.K. all species angler offering to fish with me. I had best jump all over it!

I went to my inbox and reread the email from Ricky Walker. Fairline Productions Ltd. has been commissioned by the Discovery Channel (Europe) to produce an all new 15 part series of ½ hour fishing shows entitled, ‘Fishing Road Trip USA’. Featuring their fishing presenter, Paul Young, the series would focus on two great fishing locations in each state on the east side of America. And so I was contacted and asked if I would perhaps like to be showcased. Needless to say, I was! They were looking for an enthusiastic fisher or guide who knows the territory they fish well and are happy to be on camera, maybe fishing alongside their presenter Paul Young. I would be an idiot to refuse an event like this to stroke my rather large ego, now wouldn’t I?

Ricky explained, via emails and phone calls, although the series is a road trip, instead of one continuous journey, they were doing it in 3 parts. Part 1 had them headed for the Florida Keys ,shooting for just over 3 weeks which saw them finish around North Carolina. They then returned to the UK to recover and start the editing process, etc. I would be featured early in the 2nd leg of this series.

Well, on June 22, I, along with John, met three rather jovial Scotsmen in Roanoke, VA for some steaks and brews, and to hash over details of the following day. There was Ricky Walker, his second camera manned by a gentleman named Chris and Paul Young himself. I have never met a nicer gentleman in my life. Full of vim and vinegar! I spent a rather sleepless night that night, waiting to get going with these guys.

We met Friday morning, once again at a local eatery, were we dined from the “boo-fey” (buffet). I learned a few colorful phrases while spending time with these guys. We headed to the river and Sam and John’s most excellent adventure began. The filming started as the morning rain subsided. We were miked, coached, and I found out early the day would be more about filming than fishing.

We did several takes of various shots during the day, but never were able to get missed fish to do the take over…..oh well. The first set of rapids we hit had a grassbed on the tailend, and I had Paul cast to the slack water adjacent to the vegetation. He had a beast on as we were slightly at the mercy of nature. I coached and rowed as Paul fought and narrated. But this fish, after Paul had a great introduction to our favorite gamefish, would not be subdued. Mr. Young was instantly impressed with his quarry.

We spent the day floating, fishing, and filming and getting to know each other, Paul spent the day in the back of the raft, with Ricky filming from the front of mine for the first half of the float. Chris was our shadow camera with John being on the oars. During the course of the day, tackle, technique and the river in general was discussed and filmed.

One of the most interesting events of the day was while drifting through the “tailout of the glide”, just before entering the “popply” water of a class III, Ricky suggested that we “side by side” through it for an action shot. Well, I thought this was a bad idea as the water was as bony as I had ever seen it and didn’t think that we needed to be in close proximity to one another about now. This took care of itself as we entered the top of the run and immediately hanged. John went through and I swore and cussed. Think I might have made up some new swear words. I also forgot that I was miked. Anyway, I got us freed and showed Paul a ride Disney can’t match! We then eddied out where the others where beached and filming. Ricky informed me of my blue words at the top of the rapid and honestly, I couldn’t apologize enough. Not to worry, he said. It could be bleeped and used as a tease for the series. Would Paul and Sam get through safely? What was going to happen to theses two gents? Tune in to “Hooked on Fishing” and find out! What a hoot!!!

As the day ended, Paul had a few smallish brown fish, they had seen several huge carp and a “mountain ‘gator” (muskie) that was 10” between the eyes. All in all, a great trip, a learning experience and without a doubt, one of the best stories that grand daddy will tell his grand daughters. Sometimes, it is good to be Sam……

Click here for the video.

Fishing with Sam

Latest posts