Old plastic, reels and memories

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
Mom asked me last weekend if I wanted some things out of the old storage unit as she was downsizing "crap" and wanted to know if it had a new home before it hit the can. I said sure and headed across the state to help clean everything out.

There buried at the back of the unit was my Dad's old fishing gear. Dad passed back when I was still in high school, and at the time girls and cars were more important than fishing (Dad's one passion). :oops: Won't get into that, but suffice to say cherish every moment you have. I took home his two favorite casting rods - Lews, with original Abu 5000's on them - a few old cane poles, and about 5 tackle boxes. Inside the tackle boxes were all old, old bass lures. Dad was from OK, so I'm figuring bass fishing was just as big back then as it is now. Lots of poppers in various forms, a few old Rapala's that were so chewed on you could see the wood cores, spinners and odd spoons. A couple were still in their old glass bottles with the labels on them. More than a few have succumbed to humidity and what I assume is whatever was left of some nasty bugdope from the 70's. An original Heddon 217 reel and Mitchel spincaster were at the bottom of one also.

Now - what did they put old plastic in? I must have found over 15 bags of plastic bait, all different colors with some OLD curly tail grubs, paddle tailed worms (10"), and something that looks like a variation of the Berkley Beetlespin body (but in sizes from 5.5" to .5"). All of them are still very supple, and feel oily - almost like they've all been coated in WD40. I have no idea who made them as they're all in plastic ziplock style bags with the labels long gone. There's also a few helgramites and shrimp that look REAL. Crazy accurate detail on those, and the package says "Made in Japan".

I need to see about getting the Abu's cleaned up and working again - the rods are broomsticks compared to even an Uglystick. Before the water ice's up, I'm hoping to take a few pieces of this old tackle and hit the water with it.

Would make Dad smile I think to see that gear back in action again, this time with his boy actually interested in using it.

Memories are good. My GF's father was a very avid fresh and saltwater fisherman. He passed away about three years ago but his garage is still full of deep sea fishing tackle. His son gave me two of his father's conventional reels that look like new but I never had a use for them as my boats were mainly for lakes and harbor fishing. I now have a project boat that can take me out into the deep water so will be looking forward to using those larger reels.

How cool is that, having your dad's old tackle is so cool. A friend of mine has his dad's old tackle and has it in a really neat display at his lake house. You see it every time you go downstairs.

Enjoy your new found gear

congrats on the find.
check each of the hardbody lures, some rare and old ones are very valuable to collectors......

That is great you saved them. When my dad passed away my mother told me to take whatever I wanted. The main thing I wanted was a steel bait casting rod that is telescoping. I remember him using it when I was small. A few years ago my aunt asked if I wanted my uncles fishing pole which I had never seen. Low and behold it was the same pole as dad's which I think they may have bought after they came home from WW2 so now I have 2 of them just alike.

Latest posts