campers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
does anyone out there have a camper on an f 150? my weight rating is just over 1000 lbs. which is equal to 4 fat guys,a full tank and a wet dog.i plan to install some ride rites, levelling kit and belly bars.my ride has the tow package and 4 wheel discs, no lectures about sticking to the manufactures limits please. i know its all about the axle and not so much the springs.i usually carry about 1200 lbs. of camping gear, plus my boat,call that another 1000 with the trailer.i can fit an 8 ft. with the tailgate down.do you think around 1500 lbs dry will be pushing it or no? im sure the rating is a conservative number by ford. i'd really like to hear from the guys with light duty trucks

Check your GVWR sticker on your doorpost. If not mistaken,most F150s are rated around 6200-6500lbs. I've had my '80 F150 on a scale,and it weighs in around 4500lbs with empty bed. Just make sure your TIRES are Rated for the weight you want to carry,this is a VERY important thing that must not be overlooked.

not sure if the OP is talking about towing a camper or a slide in camper. Towing a camper that would sleep "4 fat guys" would be a good size camper imo, and should tow it ok but need to remember you got to stop as well, so plan accordingly. Not sure they make a slide in camper that would sleep the 4 guys, and pretty sure I don't want to be one of the 4 either. :lol: The OEM ratings are probably conservative, but overloading the PU on a regular basis will cause alot more maintanence, on an occassional basis, probably no harm.

:USA1: A F150 Will tow a light wt 22ft tag along or a 25 ft light wt. 5th wheel. But I would use air bags. That is my opinion after 2, 5th wheels 1 bunk house camper towing it with my bike. I now have a 19.5 Shadow Cruser tag. I tow it with a 1500 gmc with bags. :)

when you say camper, are you talking about the one that goes in the bed and hangs over the top of the truck, and not a towing camper?

up here campers go in the box, tow behinds are known as travel trailers/ fifth wheels.i was always planning on airbags(ride rites).i was comparing my carrying capacity to 4 fat guys and a wet dog in the truck,not sleeping in the camper :LOL2: .thats why i think ford is being very conservative in its weight rating. ive put 4 fat guys in the wifes neon without problems.i know its not as heavy as the truck but still...

I've seen f-150's with those before. Just check the total weight and make sure it doesnt go over your rating is all i can think of

Most slide in campers are going to be way over a 150's capacity. Many I see nowadays require a 1 ton dually. Check with manufacturers-dealers for slide ins that are 150 friendly. Probably far and few between and not much more than a camper shell with a bed and porta-potty.

they make full size campers to fit most import trucks,but they sit too low for a full size truckbox. most are 7 foot,which is a bit too small for me.id really like to hear from the guys who carry an 8 footer.

My neighbor had a 8' box slide in, which he hated.

He had a 5th wheel, which he sold due to its age. His wife requested he get the slide in, to save money. He is retired, she still works for another year or two. One day I hear a bang and some unusual noises as the wife and I were heading out to dinner. Look over and noticed the camper lysting onto the fence surrounding his jaquizi. Stop to give him a hand righting the camper. Turns out one of the front legs pulled free from the camper, which casues the other front to pull free, and one of the rear legs to pull free. Fortunately it fell onto the fence, which held it up. So the delima. How do you lift 1000+ pounds with a plywood frame?

We each got out our engine hoists, a tow strap, couple of rachet straps, a dozen or so cement blocks, my 7 ton floor jack, and some 2by lumber. 2 hours later we had the camper in teh back of his Dodge Ram. After a tussle with the insurance company, he got a reasonable check. Which he used to buy a used 5th wheel.

Having said all that, everyone is different and his result may not be typical. However one thing I did learn is that the frame of the slide in is made of wood. The legs are held in place with lag screws. Wood rot, lag screws, and all the weight resting on the rotten wood holding hte lag screws in place was not a good combination. Moral of the story, get a metal frame, or make **** sure the wood under the siding isn't rotten.

Latest posts