Just wondering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new Simplicity 12.5 hp lawn tractor with a 38" mower deck for $3200 in 1991. I had to replace the PTO switch this week for $37. Other then changing fluids, filters, batteries, plugs, belts and blades the only other repair I had was rebuilding the starter in 2003 for less than $100.
After 21 years it still works as well as when I bought it. I doubt that anything on it was made China. So after 21 seasons it has only "broken down" twice and costs less then $150 to repair.

I wonder if the ones being sold today would last as long?

I don't think anything is built as well as it used to be. Partly because of a lot of out sourcing and a whole lot of less pride put into manufacturing - less human factor and more robotic building JMHO. My grandfather was a carpenter and his self built homes were less 6000 dollars to buy (on your land) and are still standing to this day. Again JMHO but people are more about making money instead of producing quality these days.

fool4fish1226 said:
I don't think anything is built as well as it used to be. Partly because of a lot of out sourcing and a whole lot of less pride put into manufacturing - less human factor and more robotic building JMHO. My grandfather was a carpenter and his self built homes were less 6000 dollars to buy (on your land) and are still standing to this day. Again JMHO but people are more about making money instead of producing quality these days.

Actually there is far less robotic building then you would think - that is because of outsourcing! Did you know almost all of teh iphone, think pads, etc. are all individually hand built?

Same goes for many other products built in Asia (including lawnmowers and small engines) - cheaper to pay people little or nothing to work 15 hrs days then it is to purchase the very expensive robots (which also require expensive and highly skilled people to maintain and operate them)

Less human factor might be a good thing - the robots tend not to make human errors

Captain Ahab said:
fool4fish1226 said:

Actually there is far less robotic building then you would think - that is because of outsourcing! Did you know almost all of teh iphone, think pads, etc. are all individually hand built?

Same goes for many other products built in Asia (including lawnmowers and small engines) - cheaper to pay people little or nothing to work 15 hrs days then it is to purchase the very expensive robots (which also require expensive and highly skilled people to maintain and operate them)

Less human factor might be a good thing - the robots tend not to make human errors

Cap - I wish I could totally disagree with you but I can not - I do understand the cheap labor of out sourcing (makes great sense for the stock holders) I believe I read that a iPhone only costs a few dollars to make because of the cheap labor hand built no robotic issue. - I guess my point would be is that what products are missing today is the pride, customer service, local shops etc. Again the less human factor maybe a good thing? I just think that handcrafted items will always be better then mass produced ones but hey who can afford them - just wish we had more of the skills our for fathers had.

Good to hear about the simplicity!
I own a Deutz Allis 917H. This is a simplicity 7117. Any part for it is available from a simplicity dealer.
It's been brutalized, and I've only replaced 1 pulley on the tractor, and the main shaft and pulley on the deck, other than the normal few belts and rollers. Also, only on the second set of blades, which seem to last forever, even after hitting rocks, roots, stumps, or whatever.
This is one tough machine, and i'm very happy with the service it's given me for some 20+ yrs.
Also wondered if, when it's time to replace it, the new ones are anywhere near as good. Maby it's time to go to a zero-turn???

overboard said:
Good to hear about the simplicity!
I own a Deutz Allis 917H. This is a simplicity 7117. Any part for it is available from a simplicity dealer.
It's been brutalized, and I've only replaced 1 pulley on the tractor, and the main shaft and pulley on the deck, other than the normal few belts and rollers.
This is one tough machine, and i'm very happy with the service it's given me for some 20+ yrs.
Also wondered if, when it's time to replace it, the new ones are anywhere near as good. Maby it's time to go to a zero-turn???
I'm 60 so I think the Simplicity will out last me :LOL2: . My 30 something neighbors have zero-turn mowers and mow their lawns at about 15 mph. I like mowing, it's the only time that I get to drink and drive :LOL2: :LOL2: . I just could never figure out how to drive a zero-turn while holding an adult beverage.

We bought a General Electric washer and dryer pair in 1992. The washer machine just broke a couple months ago. Never had a problem out of either before then. The transmission went out so I decided to buy a new washer machine instead.
I doubt I will get 20 trouble free years out of a new washer machine.

I have a troy bilt lawn mower that has surprised the S out of me. I have had it for 8 years, just one set of belts and blades. And of course yearly oil/filter changes

There are plenty of companies who build quality into thier products, expect to pay for it. If you buy cheap, cheap is what you get.

Most manufactures are finding that outsourced facilities have thier own set of issues, namely the lack of SKILLED labor. Skilled labor to repair/maintain the highly technical equipment used int eh manufacturing process.

Deere makes a **** good product for home use.

However, having saying all that. Longevity comes down to maintenance. I dont care what you buy if you dont maintain it, it wont last.

My GF has an older Black and Decker Workmate that's built like a tank! She recently bought me a newer one which on the outside has more bells and whistles but the metal is very thin and feels cheap! I don't see this one lasting as long as the original.

As a builder of homes and as a carpenter, I must have had a robot on my pay roll.... at least I think so... seemed like he was always "stiff"

gillhunter said:
I bought a new Simplicity 12.5 hp lawn tractor with a 38" mower deck for $3200 in 1991. I had to replace the PTO switch this week for $37. Other then changing fluids, filters, batteries, plugs, belts and blades the only other repair I had was rebuilding the starter in 2003 for less than $100.
After 21 years it still works as well as when I bought it. I doubt that anything on it was made China. So after 21 seasons it has only "broken down" twice and costs less then $150 to repair.

I wonder if the ones being sold today would last as long?

I doubt it, I've got a 18 hp Craftsman lawn & garden tractor I bought new in '89. It still runs great. Like you ,just oil,belts and batteries changed. The mower deck finally rusted beyond use 3 years ago. I put a sleeve hitch and chevron tread tires on the back and use it to move utility and boat trailers around.
On a side note my Mom has a 14 hp '04 Craftsman and has had to replace the trans axle twice. And the trans axle is made by
Dana / Spicer !! You would think that it would be bullet proof and last forever.

freetofish said:
As a builder of homes and as a carpenter, I must have had a robot on my pay roll.... at least I think so... seemed like he was always "stiff"

That is wayyy too much information [-X [-X [-X

Congrats on the mower, sometimes or alot of the time, if you take care of something, it will last a good while.

My mother has the original washer/dryer combo she bought in 1991 when she moved into the house and she still lives in it. She was mad a couple months ago 'cause the washer quit working, and I just laughed. I asked her is she was gonna get a new one and she said nope, her handyman already had the part on order. LOL.

I have one of those B&D workmate benches from yesteryear. Built like a tank, heavy, I use it as a tall stool, sawhorse, pipe clamp, anything else I can think of as it does alot. Have built a storage building 10 years ago with it, and built a deck a couple years ago using it. Still going strong.

I've always heard about how good John Deere is, so I bought a used LT 160 about 3 years ago which ran fine for about 3 months, and ever since, I've spent more time taking it to the shop than I have cutting grass with it. :evil:

I think it's God's way of telling me I'm too fat to use a riding mower. :twisted:

Well the old girl is 22 years old now. Did my semi-annual maintenance today, gease, oil, filters. This Georgia clay is really tough on blades. A set lasts a season, it just wears them down.

Attachments

• mower1.jpg
    mower1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 128
  • mower2.jpg
    mower2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts