Redneck Workshop 101: Motorized Trike

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
Here we go with yet another redneck workshop invention....the motorized trike, utilizing motors from a wheelchair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFAbA3Lk3s&list=UUHYpuGo2zvfQcgL2J7VdAqA&index=1&feature=plcp

Wonder how far he can go before he has to recharge? That would be something I'd want to be able to monitor so you don't have to push it back.

fender66 said:
Wonder how far he can go before he has to recharge? That would be something I'd want to be able to monitor so you don't have to push it back.

Not sure yet, I haven't tested its cruise range. I'd figure at least a couple of miles, though.

PSG-1 said:
fender66 said:

Not sure yet, I haven't tested its cruise range. I'd figure at least a couple of miles, though.

OH...this is your creation. I thought you were sharing something you found. Any thoughts to a battery level guage?

Dang....we have some creative talent on this forum! =D> =D> =D>

fender66 said:
PSG-1 said:
fender66 said:

OH...this is your creation. I thought you were sharing something you found. Any thoughts to a battery level guage?

Dang....we have some creative talent on this forum! =D> =D> =D>

It has a battery gauge, but I think it's basically an indicator for when it's charging. I know that as a wheelchair, with smaller 12V batteries, the manufacturer claimed it had a range of about 15 miles. The batteries I am using are larger, with a higher amp-hour rating, so the range may be a little more.

Loggerhead Mike said:
Lazy rednecks!!

Lol j/k that is a sweet setup good job

Thanks. It's pretty fun, too. Originally, the trike was my girlfriend's dad's...but then he had a stroke. The wheelchair was also his. A couple of years ago, when he got a new chair, I rigged the trike where the motor assembly with the factory wheelchair wheels fit under the trike, and bolted up, so, although it was a trike, it only moved at wheelchair speed, which, that was all he needed, as only one side of his body worked. And when it was set up like this, it worked pretty good, and he enjoyed riding it.

Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of this past summer. But we weren't about to get rid of the trike, instead, we decided to modify it to go a little faster, so we could start using it. As I said in the video, we initially tried sprockets and chains, but they proved to be unreliable, the belts are working much better.

Once again, Fine job PSG, I just watched your video of the chair and the one of you going up to the tilly swamp.....man that place looks awesome....I could just imagine the creature from the black lagoon jumping out of one of those old cypress.....Are you allowed to take fallen cypress in that river....they pay awesome money for that stuff. My friend logs out of the St. Johns river near Jacksonville.....I could not belive how much they pay for those old logs.

That thing was pretty cool. Fender is right we have some talented people here.

Loggerhead Mike said:
Got any pictures of the motor and how you mounted the belt pulleys?

Here ya go:

Shot of the motors from the rear:
100_5893.jpg
You can see a piece of angle iron between the 2 motors, across the top. The 2 motors are bolted to this angle, and this keeps them from wanting to tilt inward as they are put under load and torque.

This one shows the pulleys and the belts.
100_5894.jpg
Yes, the welds are a little on the ratty side, but the thin-wall tubing of the bike frame is difficult to weld. You can also see that the axle shaft is 2 half shafts, originally it was one continuous shaft, but with 2 separate motors turning, the wheels need to also be independent of each other.

100_5895.jpg
OK, this one shows the attachment points, which I'm about to explain in detail. You can see a cross-bolt on the upper part of the motors. This is bolted through a bracket, which is welded to the flat bar on the top, which is slotted at the bolt holes, to allow adjustment.

Then, in the middle, you see a large bolt with a nut, this is used to adjust belt tension. The bolt is welded to the bike frame, and so, as the nut is backed off, it puts pressure against the body of the tube frame of the motor. This was originally part of the tubular frame of the chassis of the wheelchair....I wish I had cut the **** thing a little longer, and more square :x But, it still serves its purpose.

Lastly, you see a flat bar on the bottom, and then a vertical flat bar. The vertical is a support for the motor, to keep it from sagging under torque. Although you can't see it, there is a tab welded to the bent edge of that flat bar, underneath the flat bar with the bolt going through it. This tab is also slotted, to allow for forward-to-rear adjustment when the belt tension is taken up.

Once the belts are tightened enough I can play a tune on them :mrgreen: then I lock down the support bracket bolts.

This is the controller that would normally be on the armrest of the wheelchair.
100_5896.jpg
But since my girlfriend's dad only had use of the right side of his body, I rigged it so that he could run the motors by squeezing a control lever on the handlebar, which operates this cable rigged to the joystick. The return spring guarantees that it snaps back to its neutral position when released. It worked well enough for him, I left it that way when I re-did the trike.

100_5897.jpg
I know what you're gonna say....WTF happened THERE, dude? Why are the brackets, etc, crooked? Well, the brackets that are welded to the bike, were the original brackets where the wheelchair chassis bolted up under the frame of the trike. Rather than cut all that stuff loose, I just worked off the existing brackets. No, the alignment ain;t worth a ****.....and that's the beauty of a belt drive vs. the chain drive. Already tried the chain drive, and I just couldn't make everything rigid enough, nor precisely aligned enough, for the chain to work correctly. Under torque, the motors wanted to "squall", which would cause the chain to jump off the sprocket. With the belt drive, if there's a bind, it slips, until it gets a bite, then it goes again.

100_5899.jpg

bigwave said:
Once again, Fine job PSG, I just watched your video of the chair and the one of you going up to the tilly swamp.....man that place looks awesome....I could just imagine the creature from the black lagoon jumping out of one of those old cypress.....Are you allowed to take fallen cypress in that river....they pay awesome money for that stuff. My friend logs out of the St. Johns river near Jacksonville.....I could not belive how much they pay for those old logs.

My girlfriend loves Tilley Swamp. But, I think that may be our last trip in there, as you saw, the beavers not only have a dam 1/2 a mile back in there, they are also working on building one at the entrance.

I think my favorite part of that Tilley Swamp video is at the end, when we're running back to the landing. That black water is so mirror-smooth, it almost looks like the boat is upside down, and we're looking up at the sky.

As for the swamp logging....one of my good friends is a SCDNR officer, in fact, he's the 2nd highest ranking officer in my county. He has written a few tickets to people illegally taking logs, so, I'm well-versed in the laws of log harvesting in SC. And here's what he told me:

If the log is floating, you can take it, with no permits, you can do whatever you want with it, including selling it.

However, if the log is touching the bottom, it belongs to the state of South Carolina, and you have to have an archaeological permit in order to take that log. I believe there may also be restrictions on selling it, as well.

You may have seen the log bench in my workshop, next to the trike in that video.

100_5900.jpg

This bench, and another one just like it, came from a 13' 9" log that my girlfriend and I took out of the Waccamaw River, a few miles from where I live. The log was floating, but it had clearly been in the river for quite some time. We counted 112 rings, and that was just what we could determine, it probably had more that had been cut away many years ago when that timber was hand-hewn.

Here's the thread to that, along with some pics:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=27272

As best as I can determine, it's heart of pine. My DNR friend looked at those 2 benches that we made, he thought they were really neat. I gave him a chunk that we had cut out of it, he was going to pass it along to someone else in the agency that might be able to tell us more about the wood, etc.

I think next spring, we might be going over to either the Waccamaw, or maybe the PeeDee River, when they let a lot of water out of the dams upstream, and see if we can find any other neat logs floating around. But I guarantee you the next time we go swamp logging, we're bringing a come-along, and we ain't loading the **** thing into the boat, either. We'll tow it back and put it on a separate trailer!

Nice job, however there is room for improvement. :mrgreen:

Electric HVAC, and dump the batteries. Install a mini engine that drives a generator, which powers the electric motors.

I KNOW it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7JNPolgxDk

And for a monster electric drive truck. 345 tons of moving power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXvabIDpK0

It's a good idea, and I definitely understand the concept of how it would work...but an engine puts off noise.
I mean, heck, if I'm going to do that, I could just go ahead and rig it out with a small engine.

They really don't want motorized vehicles on the bike path, I'm probably in a gray area with the electric motors, but an engine would definitely classify as a motorized vehicle.