Spinner bait makers - a few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I bought some bonafide fish catching spinnerbaits a few years back. But now the company did some changes and only offers 7-9 color combos, and none are the ones I want. I bought all my favorites when they were on sale (clearance and now not carried) and now can't even find this stuff online anywhere. I also have some other color combos that I want, but can't seem to find them anywhere. So my three questions:

How much does the average two blade spinnerbait cost you to make?
If I wanted to try my hand at this, what kind of equipment should I get?
Who has the best selection of bait building materials that you would use?

Thanks!

wasilvers said:
How much does the average two blade spinnerbait cost you to make?
If I wanted to try my hand at this, what kind of equipment should I get?
Who has the best selection of bait building materials that you would use?

1, Under a buck or right around there.
2, You will need spinnerbait heads either painted or unpainted, blades, skirts, clevices, swivels and spacers. a set of round tip pliers to bend the spinnerbait heads closed around the swivel
3, lure parts online, Hagens and fishingskirts.com

I make these bad boys every now and then to giveaway...........

SB5.jpg

If you like the design of your favorite brand....are you only looking to change out the skirt colors...or just re-paint the heads????

If so, modifying the ones you already have would give you a head-start on finally building your own. I imagine you can buy skirt material etc. from the places mentioned already.

Rich

richg99 said:
If you like the design of your favorite brand....are you only looking to change out the skirt colors...or just re-paint the heads????

If so, modifying the ones you already have would give you a head-start on finally building your own. I imagine you can buy skirt material etc. from the places mentioned already.

Rich

I can repaint heads and change skirts now. I just fish some areas where I lose a fair amount of lures to pike or rocks.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe Jim can scan throught this and check my numbers...
I added it all up and based on Jim's hardware and my colors, it will run me about $3.50 per unit buying most supplies from fishingskirts.com and the heads from lurepartsonline. I know there will be waste and such, so the accountant in me had to figure out the breakeven. If my math is right, I'll have to purchase supplies to make about 13 of these to save $1. If I buy supplies for 50, I'll save $110.

I think I'll do it, but just have to wait till the wife buys something big so I have an excuse. :)

Attachments

• spinnerbait.jpg
    spinnerbait.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 338
You could make your own heads and cut the costs by about .90 a piece. It would mean buying the melter, ladle and a mold but after making 100, they would pay for themselves. A friend of mine makes his own heads and, from what he says, its pretty easy.

jeremy0998 said:
You could make your own heads and cut the costs by about .90 a piece. It would mean buying the melter, ladle and a mold but after making 100, they would pay for themselves. A friend of mine makes his own heads and, from what he says, its pretty easy.

Interesting, I have a friend close by who has all this but the mold. If I could get him to pour me some, he provides lead and wire, I provide the rest, we could come out pretty good on price per unit. Of course, I'd have to paint the darn things. But painting 100 at a time can't be all that bad.

I get them for 40-60 cents per head painted ready to go. I am going to place an order shortly. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you the guy his contact info.

A quick google seached turned up some other suppliers as well. I could bring that cost down to the .60 per head too. That brings my breakeven down to 8 spinnerbaits. I will easily make, use and lose more than 8 this next year. And now I can get all my favorite colors! I'm IN on this.

I'll have to get this going before the tinboats box #7 gets to me though. I'll make some of my favorites to put in there.

Good reading here:
https://www.bassdozer.com/articles/spinnerbait-heads.shtml

Latest posts