Anyone else have the toyota frame corrosion treatment done?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
so i took my truck in for the frame corrosion recall two years ago, they coated the frame. Well now the "preventitive" coating is coming off. my frame looks like pure S now. just wondering if anyone has this same issue. i spoke with dealer, he is not doing anything about it. now i am waiting on toyota corporate to call me back......

Don't get me started!

I received that recall notice about the Tacoma frame corrosion issue too but my letter said that due to where I live (California) that no action was needed. I'm basically anal about my cars and boats so have always washed out the underside anytime I get near the ocean. I was raised in Hawaii and saw what salt air can do to cars.

My Toyota Tacoma was missing the driver's side engine mount bolts to the frame and Toyota refused to install them unless I paid them. I contacted Toyota and they said I had to deal with the dealership management myself which I did. A friend of the family owns a transmission shop and he installed the bolts for free!

This is/was my first and only Toyota ever. The truck is reliable but the human service sucks!

Be glad they aren't doing yours. I am sorry to hear about ur experiences with them. I bought at a great dealership great people and service. The dealer closest to me has horrible service. The service manager changed his tune lies and what he was and wasn't doing when I told him I was a mechanic. So when corporate tits gets back to me I will drive the extra 30 minutes to the other guy. I have has 4 toys, and will continue to own them as they are great, thankfully the are good enough to where u don't have to see those worthless service people often.

mine wasnt bad at all. but they said to get to rust waranty extended 10 years i had to get it coated. wish i wouldnt have. i told the service manager and toyota corporate that i had a '66 mustang that sat in a field with flat tires for 15 years that wasnt as rusty as my frame is now. my wife even noticed it before i said anything if tells you how bad it looks. i will still stand by my toyotas but they better make this right. i really dont want to have to fix it my self, but again i know it would be done right.

lovedr79 said:
so i took my truck in for the frame corrosion recall two years ago, they coated the frame. Well now the "preventitive" coating is coming off. my frame looks like pure S now. just wondering if anyone has this same issue. i spoke with dealer, he is not doing anything about it. now i am waiting on toyota corporate to call me back......
Don't wait for that return call.... Sit down and write a calm, factual letter to the PRESIDENT of TOYOTA, Akio Toyoda, at 1 Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan. Simply state that Toyota built the defect into your truck and it is their responsibility to correct it. They have not. Ask that he intercede on your behalf with the dealer. Thank him, respectfully and then wait for a letter from him and a call from the dealer to set up an appointment.

Now there's a thought. I think I will request a new truck as mine is defective. Lol. If they don't call back I may just write him.

Jim said:
I live in New England, famous for Salty winters. My tacoma did not rust enough for the recall.

I live in Pa., and my 95 Tacoma also passed the frame recall. DARN; 1 1/2 X the money for the yr.
I don't think they coated the frame though, just checked it for the rust problem.

My friend has prius last time we took it in for an oil change there were 5 or 6 new pick-up frames stacked up in one of the service bays. They said they re-place several frames a month.

Do Toyota cars rust just as bad as the trucks ?....we bought a brand new 2012 Yaris just in August and i don't know what to expect now...other than bullet proof reliability,BTW Yaris is Made in Japan.I have heard that Toyota buys scrap metal from China,melts it and makes cars,the problem is almost all steel from China and Russia and is contaminated with lower grade steel so that just promotes premature rust. In fact Jd Power and Associates just ranked Toyota as #1,#2 and #3 (Toyota,Lexus,Scion) go figure :roll: .
Thank you,
Dan

Akio is getting a letter. Corporate called and said get it inspected again, the wait until a hole forms them they will replace frame. In the meantime u have to drive a rusty ugly framed truck....... Or if it doesn't happen before 2019, Owell. So I pretty much have to address the issue myself.

:USA1: You are lucky it is coming 0ff water and salt gets under it and can't dry out so you get rust. :cry:

I would never buy a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda product. Having worked in these dealerships, I have seen things that left me scratching my head. Mostly the cover ups to hide issues with their cars is what boggles the mind.
I will stick with GM. I like their cover ups better.

TOY BOAT said:
I would never buy a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda product. Having worked in these dealerships, I have seen things that left me scratching my head. Mostly the cover ups to hide issues with their cars is what boggles the mind.

Yeah, The Gm dealer took my car in for an oil change. The kid must of taken off 1k miles with the tire burn he did on my truck.

Oh and one more thing, If you go into the dealer for a tire rotation, mark the tires to see where they put them. If you are like me, they stayed in the same spot. :wink:

TOY BOAT said:

Very funny but true! I once bought a brand new Firebird and being a gearhead, once home, I looked at it more thoroughly. The parts tags were still on the shocks and I found a socket stuck to a bolt on the inner fender liner. Maybe I got a discount on the dealer prep part. :lol: