Questions abt exploring coastal Carolinas in a 16'Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit

Reaction score
I need to get off the mountain and want to explore some coastal backwater Was looking
at the Francis Marion National Forest as a good place to pitch a tent and boat around.
Also wanted to explore Charleston Harbor.
Anyone ever take a small boat between the Barrier Islands and the mainland? How about Back Bay
up at the Va line? I this feasible in good weather with a 16' mod V?
Anyone ever been to the Great Dismal Swamp? Is that good?
There are a couple of commercial campgrounds but I'd like to bop around a bit and camp
someplace nice and don't know much about the area.
Any advise or suggestions?
Thanks

wife and i fish the intracoastel a lot - the grass flats are puppy drum and trout heavens -never had the nerve to go out the inlet- but we do drift tubbs inlet [nc] on the incoming tide-

16ft lowes- 30 yamaha-

Back Bay-VA- spent a week there- never seen so many brown water snakes in my life - the dam things are every where- long as my leg --

Wow, might be worth it just to see the snakes.
Back Bay sounds like a good place to start. Then I can check out that national forest which is
right on the Intracoastal, camp and explore for a bit then head for Charleston Harbor for a motel
and public ramp.
There's a campsite in Hilton Head with a ramp that sounds real nice.
Could be drama at the boat ramp cause I've only backed up a trailer a few times.
Cheers

Well, we're talking about some of my stomping grounds, now! 8)

Francis Marion NF is a nice place, it's bordered on the north side by the massive expanse of the Santee River Delta. Something everyone should see at least once in their life. The Santee is the largest river system in SC, it is also the 2nd largest river delta on the east coast, as well as being the oldest river system east of the Mississippi. If you check out my youtube channel, you'll see some of the terrain of the Santee Delta.

McConnell landing is situated along the Santee river, about 10 miles up-river from US 701/17, and you can camp there. Wambaw Creek runs off the Santee and goes a good ways up into the NF.

Also, in that same area, you have Cape Romain NWR, with all its barrier islands, like Bull Island, then you have the marshes and inlets. There are a few launch points, like Buck Hall in Francis Marion NF, as well as Garris Landing, which puts you at the north end of Bull Island and the south end of Sewee Bay.
It's a wonderful place to visit, and give thanks to the SCDNR and the USFWS that we still have some protected areas like this. The 2 lighthouses on the north end of Cape Romain are also a nice place to visit, but, bring bug spray, even in the cold months. I also have some video footage of the Cape Romain NWR area on my youtube channel.

Back Bay NWR, I can't tell you about that area, I've never been that far north, looks like it's very shallow, just from satellite images. I'm familiar with areas south of Currituck Beach, down to Ocracoke.
But I CAN tell you that in the Currituck Sound, several miles south of Back Bay NWR, places like Monkey Island are full of water moccasins. Big ones, too. :shock:

Anyhow, if you're down toward Francis Marion NF, Cape Romain, etc, then, you're about an hour south of me, so, if you need any other info or advice, give me a holler.

Thanks alot for that info. I'm booking a campsite near Back Bay tomorrow. Gonna check out that landing too.
Thinking about the lighthouses.
Got the boat done, packing tomorrow, out friday.
Saturday should be good weather, sunday and monday not so much.
Thanks again for the info.
Cheers

is waterfoul season open up there now- that bay is loaded with duck blinds-- alto you will still have the park wildlife area-

go to the visiters center- park - walk out thru the dunes path - you will be the only one on the beach for miles-- its so different from being on the public beaches--watch for deer they live in the dunes

Thanks Guys, that was really helpful. I'm packing the truck now to be on the road in an hour or so. Will be
at North Landing for couple and then heading south.
Gotta go now. Must keep moving to get packed in time.
Cheers

Latest posts