SO

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich27028

Reaction score
wife is watching X factor - so i came to pester you guys - so

id like to add a light to see to bait hooks and retie hooks at night - was thinking a red light as red dosent kill your night vision-- some thing indirect-close to deck so it dosent shine directly into my eyes -- should be a led light to draw low wattage--???-- any ideas--

Jim said:
A nice head lamp! That is what we use while fishing the canal for stripers.

That is all you need - get one that has at least two white light settings and a red and you will be file. Red is great for some things but I cannot see braided line with the red light so I use the low level while light when I re-tie leaders

Plus, having the headlamp handy is a necessity when trying to net or land a fish alone at night

X 2 on the head lamp.

I have an older version of this Petzl, but it's basically the same set up as mine.

What I like about this lamp, even tho' it was a little pricey:
- very lightweight, with no separate heavy battery pack, just uses 3 AAA batteries
- the lamp ratchets up and down so you can ratchet it down for for close work like tying on, or up to light up wherever you want
- has 3 light levels, plus a boost level (which I rarely use)
- but the best part for me is the diffuser lens. I use the red, and it just slides across the front of the light so you don't have to click thru a bunch of settings to get to red or back to white. Just slide the lens back and forth.

I have this one that I got at Wallyworld. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Trail-Finder-Series-UV-LED-Cap-Visor-Hands-Free-Light-White-Red/15571837?findingMethod=rr It uses 2 AAA batteries and it's got 3 settings + off, white low/white high/red. I've been using it to go to and from my deer stand for 2 years now on the same batteries so the triple led's are low power consumption. The tilt feature on it is great. It will lay flat on the bill of your hat for looking forward or with a quick flip, you can tilt it downward, leaving both hands free for doing anything else like baiting or to tie hooks/lures etc. Love mine.

Latest posts