Wood Stove

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I'm looking for a used (bigger) wood stove to replace the POS I have in my hunting shack. I've spent countless hours on the web and can't find anything close to what I am looking for that isn't at least 600 miles away. (I'm in the Green Bay WI area) The few that I have located with in reasonable distance are priced like they are made of gold. I've got untill next fall to find one, so in the meen time I will have to start saveing, and if need be will have to buy a new one. $1500.00 is a lot to spend for something I'll only use for 8 to 10 days a year but I would rather not have to wear my hunting cloths to stay warm while INSIDE the shack. Resistance is futile, I shall be victorious.

Just a thought, when we used to hunt in colorado from our big tent. We used (2) 55 gallon drums and a kit from harbor freight (maybe northern hydraulics) to turn them into a wood stove. The kit worked well, nice and tight seals, held a whole bunch of wood. Put it together with a sawzall, pliers, wrench and screwdrivers. The bottom drum held the wood and the top drum just recovered more heat. No problem heating our 16 by 30 tent. Whole thing was less than $150
Tim

I've done the one drum heater in an old barn. It works well. For a couple hundred you can get one of the ventless blue flame heaters that run off a 100 pound LP gas tank. Then you can bring it home to heat the garage or if there's an ice storm, blizzard ect ect.

earl, thanks for the reply. I have given that some thought but if I can find a more conventional type wood stove I would prefer to go that route but the barrell stove is an option.

Thanks

lckstckn2smknbrls, the gas is a deffinate no go. Gas is to costly and I have an endless supply of wood for free. I also have a wood stove in the basement and one in the garage, so I'm good to go there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any of these work?

https://www2.northerntool.com/heaters-stoves-fireplaces/wood-3.htm

There are two on that page, one for $199 and the other for $287 that i think could work for you?

Try craigslist also!

How about something like this?

100_0612.JPG

100_0613.JPG

This firebox is made from 1/4" steel, about 24" wide by 18" deep, by 18" high, with a removable front door panel.

100_0614.JPG

As well as a damper system.

100_0615.JPG

100_0616.JPG

I built one similar to this, but not on a pedestal, just a box, and placed it in my fireplace, like a fireplace insert. Works really good.

I made this one with the intent of using it to have a wood stove in my shop. But my problem is, the shop is under the house, so, that means not being able to go straight up with a chimney, I'd have to put 2 90 degree bends in the chimney. One to make the turn to go out the shop wall, then another to go up the side of the house.

So, that idea didn't work, and I've been sitting on this firebox for the last few years. I'd be willing to let it go for about 100 bucks, but if I had to ship it to someone on the net, the shipping would be more than the item itself!

The basic Barrel kits can be had for less than $40 and the only other parts you need is a metal barrel and your chimney pipe. The good part about the kits is that the kit parts are made of cast iron so you can keep using those parts and just replace the barrel ever few years.
https://www.northlineexpress.com/wood-stoves/barrel-stove-kits/vogelzang-standard-barrel-wood-stove-kit-bk100e.html

Latest posts