Hand held gps for hiking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Anybody recomend one?

Yeah I'm a late Christmas shopper. Mom likes to hike, the AT is in our back yard. She wants something that shows elevation and distance

Any help or recommendations are much appreciated!

Garmin has a wide variety of models. You just have to decide what features you want and buy the corresponding model. I have one that I've had for about 15 years now and I love it. I use it mostly for hunting but I've also taken it on trips driving across country before. A good friend of mine has a different model that doubles as a 2 way radio and weather radio. IMHO you can't go wrong with a Garmin.

We use the "Back Tracker" gps for hiking. It doesn't show elevation though. It is a very basic gps that hangs around your neck and fairly simple to use.

I have a Garmin ETrex as does my brother and dad. Nothing but good things to say about them so far(10 years or so). Mine even gives good/best hunting and fishing times. Believe it or not, the times it gives usually does produce more fish, even when it gives odd times of the day.

nomowork said:
We use the "Back Tracker" gps for hiking. It doesn't show elevation though. It is a very basic gps that hangs around your neck and fairly simple to use.
I had the backtracker it was the most worthless thing I ever bought. It could barely get a signal standing in my open back yard then in the field under some trees it couldn't get a signal at all.

I have a garmin 60csx, and it will show elevation I believe, lots of features I don't use. I have used in my boat and yak to mark hot spots and structure, will show tracks, wp's, etc. Not sure if there is a current model of it now or not, but probably can't go wrong with any gamin outdoor gps unit.

BackWoodsTracker said:
I have a Garmin ETrex as does my brother and dad. Nothing but good things to say about them so far(10 years or so). Mine even gives good/best hunting and fishing times. Believe it or not, the times it gives usually does produce more fish, even when it gives odd times of the day.

Love mine :beer:

Latest posts