2 Billion Pixel Image of Everest

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, Check this out.......

Zoom in towards the glacier and see all the base camps, holy cow.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Gigapans/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT/EBC_Pumori_050112_8bit_FLAT.html

It looks beautiful but that's about as close as I'd want to get to it. It boggles the mind to think that these people pay $30,000.00-$100,000.00 for a better than avg chance of dying and yet it's still that crowded.

Here's a breakdown of some of the cost involved with attempting to climb it.
https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2012/02/07/everest-2012-a-look-at-the-costs/

JMichael said:
It looks beautiful but that's about as close as I'd want to get to it. It boggles the mind to think that these people pay $30,000.00-$100,000.00 for a better than avg chance of dying and yet it's still that crowded.

Here's a breakdown of some of the cost involved with attempting to climb it.
https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2012/02/07/everest-2012-a-look-at-the-costs/

:shock:

Fun stuff. You can see the low camp, mid camp just past the cwm and icefall, but there's no high camp set for the summit. They're probably making their intermediate runs in that photo as there's no established peak camp in that photo. They'll make that middle run a few times to gain tolerance to the altitude, before finally heading up for the summit. Follow the little line of bodys up the face and you'll see the line of horizontal small tents just to the right of the draw a little under half way up. They're tucked into the shadows.

Other interesting tidbit, you can't see the Hillary Step in that photo which is the route that almost everyone takes up to the summit.

Always amazed me how something so barren and hostile could be so beautiful. 8)

(I'd do it if I didn't have the family)

Yea I watched a special about it and they talked about how many people die from altitude sickness. You'd think most of the deaths would be due to falls.

overboard said:
Beautiful and amazing!
Where's the outhouse! Probablly will be declared a contaminated area shortly!
The outhouse is all that frozen wasteland you see in the photo. :wink:

I can't believe no one has asked the obvious. Suppose anyone has tried ice fishing the little lake just above the people?

I'm not sure what you're seeing that looks like a lake, but since this is summer time, and it's perpetual snow, I doubt that there is much in the way of liquid up there.

JMichael said:
I'm not sure what you're seeing that looks like a lake, but since this is summer time, and it's perpetual snow, I doubt that there is much in the way of liquid up there.

Just above the tents there is a round depression that looks like it has some flat (as in frozen water) ice in it. But I think I need to get my joke sign out too because I wasn't serious. lol

made a visual aid

fender66 said:
Is that a Walgreens that I see on the left hand side of the intersection?

ya, over next to the dollar tree by the dollar general down from the big lots and across the street from mcdonalds.

Latest posts