Going to make the co-angler plunge!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
I finally decided to take the co-angler plunge, talked about it some last year. But I just registered for the FLW, weekend angler circuit. First tourney is on Grand Lake March 9th. Right after the pros wear it out fom the classic! lol If this goes well I plan to participate in the other okie tourneys.

So any other fellow co-anglers out there?

Also I had a question, I couldn't ever find for sure when I will know if I get paired with a boater, other than the day before the tourney, but I'd hate to drive 2 hrs and find out I don't get to fish, surely they will let you know before you waste time driving to the place.

Hope I get a boater, and one that is friendly and knowledgable that I can learn from!

One of my employees took the plunge last year. From what I understand, it's all based on where you place in the ratings. If I'm not mistaken, the top rated co-anglers can be assured of a ride, but the lower rated guys go on a wait list and don't know until the last minute. I believe he also told me that he just got sponsored, which helped guarantee his ride??

The above is based on my recollection, though I'm really not paying much attention to him most of the time. If I can ask him any specific questions on your behalf, just let me know.

- Jason

I spoke to my employee and confirmed.

When you register and pay your dues, you as a co-angler are placed on the waiting list. As the boaters register, they get paired with a co-angler. If you are the first on the list, you are the first to get placed with a boater. He expressed the importance of registering and paying asap in order to get a better position on the waiting list.

He advised that if you are paired up with a boater, you would know about a week in advance, but that cancellations could open up last minute openings and you may get a call at 3.am. the night before the tourney. He did advise that this was a rare thing though.

He also told me that he got matched up with a boater and is now guaranteed a ride. I'm a little unclear on the details, but that when the boater registers, he also put's my guy's membership number on the tourney. They won't let them fish together, but it guarantees him another boat somehow. In some kinda way the boater dropping my guy's number bypasses the waiting list???

Hope somehow all this rambling helps.

Thanks guys!

I found out about this middle of last year, but decided to wait for the new season. I have always wanted to try something like this plus help elevate my fishing skills and maybe actually learn something i wouldnt have picked up elsewhere.

@GA1dad
Thank you for finding more out, this seems to be also what i been hearing as well. I feel that at least since I am registered early and if I cant link with a boater i stand a good chance of getting paired. Yeah if you have a link as i have recently found out it doesn't mean you fish with that person. Just helps garuntee your spot on someone's boat vs a person who signed up with out a link. just give you priority.

I found a local forum thats active and looks like i should be able to find a link there if i act fast when they post.

If anyone else is interested FLW and Bassmasters host these all over the US so you should be able to find something close to you. Co-Angler entry fee is a $100 i looked at last years turn outs and they tended to average in my area about 100 boats. with payouts going to about the top 25. Although can be more payouts with a max of 200 boats. They fish 5 events, 4 of the events are 1 day tourneys on Sat, and the last one of the season is a 2 day event.

I fished as a co-angler in the BFL's, Bass Open's, and on the FLW Tour. It is a great way to learn new techniques and ways of approaching a day's fishing. What makes co-angling frustrating is also what makes is such a great way to learn. By fishing with someone unfamiliar, you will be put into situations where you normally would not fish, and it forces you to adapt your presentation or simply not catch any fish.

The way everything works is each tournament will have a "Priority Deadline." What that means is if you have a person fishing as a boater, and you sign up together, the tournament director will know that there will be a boat for the co-angler, and you guys will be considered each others "guarantee." If you sign up with a boater, and do so before the priority deadline, you will be given priority to fish the tournament over co-anglers who did not sign up with a "guaranteed" partner.

But, even if you don't have a guarantee, you can still very easily get into the tournament depending on how quickly you registered. You can call FLW and they will tell you if you are confirmed for the tournament (you are in) or you are on a waiting listing (not yet in) and they will even tell you where on the list you are. Even if you don't get a confirmation before the tournament, if it is close, I would still go because there are times when they will need an extra co-angler and will take anyone from the crowd who is looking to fish. In fact, my wife was able to fish a tournament because they were looking for more co-anglers.

For assigning partners, they do that at the meeting the night before the tournament. They will call a boat #, then the boaters name and then the co-anglers name. Also, an area will be designated for meeting up with your partner, so you walk over there and start looking for the guy who has the same boat number as you. You guys swap info, figure out a meeting time/place and then head back to the hotel to get ready for fishing the next day. Be sure to ask your boater how he plans on fishing, and what type of structure/cover may be around, so you can be sure you are as ready as can be. But, take it with a grain of salt because a lot of times the game plan will change an hour or two into the day. Just remember to stay calm and be flexible with your fishing. Most BFL's that I co-angled in, if you can catch 3 decent keepers, you are going to be close to getting a check, and 4 decent fish will almost guarantee one. 5 fish, and you will have a good shot of being in the top 20. That is not always the case, and each lake will fish really well some days, and really tough on others, but in the BFL's, when I was able to put 3 in the boat, and still have time to fish, I always felt really good about my chances of riding home on a check.

Good luck, and have a lot of fun!

Latest posts