Diabetics?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
What's it like giving yourself shots even if you hate needles?

Got the news earlier that watching my diet isn't working. I gave up drinking for this?

I have been using insulin for over a year the needle is painless
I asume they will start with the long acting stuff that you take before bed.
I went the pills route with out any luck and now i take a shot before each meal.and then a shot before bedtime

Try the HCG diet my mother was bad off and she did a few round of It and now if off the stuff all together her doc talk bad about the diet but it help her out some much and she is down about 85 pounds.

harleydoc said:
Try the HCG diet my mother was bad off and she did a few round of It and now if off the stuff all together her doc talk bad about the diet but it help her out some much and she is down about 85 pounds.

I don't know if I could hold myself to 500 calories a day. (thats what it said on a website I looked at anyway)

Most of us over eat anyways I know I do for sure. But there is more to the hog then to 500 cal I have tried it with and with out the hcg and the hcg does help maybe it is my mind after like 3 day the 500 cal meals with fill you up and after a week you will feel much better.

I test my blood 4 times a day. I take one shot at bedtime with long acting and usually at noon I take another shot of short acting. On some days I don't need the shot at noon. When we moved I changed doctors and I went to him for a year and he said everything was fine. I was on pills at this time. Something came up and he was not avaiable so I went to a different doctor. Wjen I went in he checked me out and a nurse and him came in. They told me my BP was very high and my sugar level was over 900. I was told that if I would not have came in to him when I did I wouldhave had a massive heart attack within a month. Kinda give you a different look at life to hear that. Just stay on top of it. I weighed 160 lbs at that time and they put me on a 1000 cal a day diet. I started gaining weight from the insuln. I now only eat enough that would probably fill a ceral bowl between 3 meals but at least I stopped gaining weight. I now weigh 210 and I am trying hard to lose some of that. Sorry that this is so long but jusst wanted to let you know what could happen

sawmill said:
I test my blood 4 times a day. I take one shot at bedtime with long acting and usually at noon I take another shot of short acting. On some days I don't need the shot at noon. When we moved I changed doctors and I went to him for a year and he said everything was fine. I was on pills at this time. Something came up and he was not avaiable so I went to a different doctor. Wjen I went in he checked me out and a nurse and him came in. They told me my BP was very high and my sugar level was over 900. I was told that if I would not have came in to him when I did I wouldhave had a massive heart attack within a month. Kinda give you a different look at life to hear that. Just stay on top of it. I weighed 160 lbs at that time and they put me on a 1000 cal a day diet. I started gaining weight from the insuln. I now only eat enough that would probably fill a ceral bowl between 3 meals but at least I stopped gaining weight. I now weigh 210 and I am trying hard to lose some of that. Sorry that this is so long but jusst wanted to let you know what could happen

That's kind of what bothers me the most. Knowing that I have to make everything more regimental.
Both of my parents were diabetics and took shots but I don't remember them taking two different kinds. (long acting and short) Is that a common thing?

parkerdog said:
sawmill said:

That's kind of what bothers me the most. Knowing that I have to make everything more regimental.
Both of my parents were diabetics and took shots but I don't remember them taking two different kinds. (long acting and short) Is that a common thing?

I don't know how common it is, but the reason I am on it so I was told is due to addvanced stage of mine that is the only way to contol it. If I am real active in the day I usually don't need the short acting shot. I place alot of blame on my first doctor but I am at fault also for not insisting on getting a meter because I knew I was border line. If you don't have a meter get one and use it. Everyone says that when your blood sugar is high you don't feel good. In my case I actually felt better when it was high. My VA benifits sytarted last April and when I went for my physcal I was told that I had a heart attack sometime in the past so this was another wakeup call as I did not know that or when it happened. Be sure to take care of yourself. My family has a history of diabetes so when I was borderline that did not suprize me at all

sawmill said:
parkerdog said:
sawmill said:

I don't know how common it is, but the reason I am on it so I was told is due to addvanced stage of mine that is the only way to contol it. If I am real active in the day I usually don't need the short acting shot. I place alot of blame on my first doctor but I am at fault also for not insisting on getting a meter because I knew I was border line. If you don't have a meter get one and use it. Everyone says that when your blood sugar is high you don't feel good. In my case I actually felt better when it was high. My VA benifits sytarted last April and when I went for my physcal I was told that I had a heart attack sometime in the past so this was another wakeup call as I did not know that or when it happened. Be sure to take care of yourself. My family has a history of diabetes so when I was borderline that did not suprize me at all
I forgot but ask them about classes on how to eat and they will explain a lot in these classes. Where I live they offer them on a one on one bases which is much better as you get more out of it. Your diet is not as restrctive as you think just small portions and watch what you eat. I can still drink beer just not as much and in my case it actually lowers my sugar level a bit

My mother was in the same boat as you guys. I not trying to sell you on HCG but wife is a crunchy type of person when it come to something and she told my mom about the HCG and it really worked for her and still is working it is a lot better then all that other stuff they had her no and her doc was very very please with the out come she has been off the shots for her diebities for over a year now and was on it for almost 8 years. She come off it at the 20 day mark when she did her first HCG cycle.

It depends on your problem.
Some people make Insulin but the body dont use it. And vice-versa.
Either way you are starting a long learning curve.

Pay attention to your Doc. There is a ton of reading out there for Diabetics, but get your info from your Doc before you go off on your own with diet etc.
Don't forget to exercise too.

I been struggeling with this for years. It's slowly getting worse, but the Doc has slowed down the destructive pace.
Shots are no problem.

Sawmill, my doc is referring me to some kind of clinic so that will probably have the classes and such.

Do you still take the pills with the shots? If not, that would get rid of 5 a day.

I am down to taking 2 pills a day one before bed then mid day
the classes help some but like everyone has said it is about control.
be sure to track the numbers you will see what causes your sugar to rise and you may choose to stay away from that

parkerdog said:
Sawmill, my doc is referring me to some kind of clinic so that will probably have the classes and such.

Do you still take the pills with the shots? If not, that would get rid of 5 a day.

I take 2 metform per day and 1 other pill I don't remember what that is plus a pill for BP. You should keep track of what you eat as some things will drive your sugar level thru the roof. One of the thing I don't eat now is anything with gravey on it. Like I said before I don't eat much anymore and I am not hungary. But don't stop eating this will cause all kind of thing to happen. Make sure you have them explain what low blood sugar is. You will know when it happens and in my case it was not nice.

sawmill said:
parkerdog said:

I take 2 metform per day and 1 other pill I don't remember what that is plus a pill for BP. You should keep track of what you eat as some things will drive your sugar level thru the roof. One of the thing I don't eat now is anything with gravey on it. Like I said before I don't eat much anymore and I am not hungary. But don't stop eating this will cause all kind of thing to happen. Make sure you have them explain what low blood sugar is. You will know when it happens and in my case it was not nice.

I know, I've hit the low blood sugar a couple of times. I had been taking metformin for a couple years then doc switched me to glyburide and finally added onglyza last year.

Seems like a slice of bread will drive it up. Carbohydrates.

I'll have to start looking around for a nurse who wants a project boyfriend! LOL

parkerdog said:
sawmill said:
parkerdog said:

I know, I've hit the low blood sugar a couple of times. I had been taking metformin for a couple years then doc switched me to glyburide and finally added onglyza last year.

Seems like a slice of bread will drive it up. Carbohydrates.

I'll have to start looking around for a nurse who wants a project boyfriend! LOL

Make sure she is good looking and smart :p

Latest posts