walleye

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecirb_88

Reaction score
hey everyone,

i fish from time to time on the misouri river right below holter dam near craig montana, i always catch rainbow, but have seen and been told that there are good walley in that spot. whats a simple good way to catch walleye? im not into fancy stuff and a ton of tackle. i nomally use a weight, hook and nightcrawler. so lets hear what you have for ideas, thanks!

Check out "Walleye Central"..........Tons of info! I'm sure there's guy's from the same area on there.
Jig and minnow, worm harness, crankbaits, stickbaits; they all produce.
After reading all their favorites, you will need about 30 new tackle boxes! :lol:
Jig and minnow seems to still be a basic favorite. Alot use different tactics at different times of the year.

As light a jig head as you can get away with, and some jumbo leeches. You'll have to figure out the color, but work transition areas from mud to rock.

Love the Finntech Knuckleball Jig for this work.

I'm going to say that I have caught more walleyes below a dam than anyone else who has replied, so this is my take. There is only one technique I use when fishing for eyes below any dam from shore. A 1/8 round head jig with a fathead minnow skull hooked. Run the point of the hook in the minnows mouth and out through the top of it's head. Cast out to the current break or eddy. Slowly retreive back to shore, just fast enough that you are not getting snagged in the rocks all the time, but slow enough that you are making contact with the bottom. Continue that retreive all the way to shore. I would say that 60% of the strikes I get are with in 10 feet of shore, with some right at my feet.

Thanks Muskiemike - I too was wondering this. If I wanted to skip the live bait, what artificial lure would you suggest? Or is livebait the main way to insure your best chance of success?

If you don't have minnows a 3" twister tail will work. White, yellow or black are the colors I stick with. I usually get more smallies than walleyes with artificials.

Thanks to everyone! i will be trying a few of these methods! i will let you know how it goes when i get down to holter again!

its nice another person from MT on here! I've caught walleyes on Canyon Ferry with bottom bouncer / worm harness combos and Hot Mustard Rapalas.

If you haven't been there yet, try fishing (for rainbows) below Hauser dam, they call it the land of the giants!

muskiemike12 said:
I'm going to say that I have caught more walleyes below a dam than anyone else who has replied, so this is my take. There is only one technique I use when fishing for eyes below any dam from shore. A 1/8 round head jig with a fathead minnow skull hooked. Run the point of the hook in the minnows mouth and out through the top of it's head. Cast out to the current break or eddy. Slowly retreive back to shore, just fast enough that you are not getting snagged in the rocks all the time, but slow enough that you are making contact with the bottom. Continue that retreive all the way to shore. I would say that 60% of the strikes I get are with in 10 feet of shore, with some right at my feet.

Same way I do it. 8)

tcampbell011 said:
its nice another person from MT on here! I've caught walleyes on Canyon Ferry with bottom bouncer / worm harness combos and Hot Mustard Rapalas.

If you haven't been there yet, try fishing (for rainbows) below Hauser dam, they call it the land of the giants!

hey man, i have been googling and youtubing hauser dam all week now! looks awsome! its only an hour and a half or so from great falls. deffinitly wanna try it out there! is it boat friendly? im going fishing for pike today below marony dam, hope that works out..

Look up a lure called Erie Derie..we use them all the time on Lake Erie and have tried them else where and the green and mhite or red and white works great. Put a fat night crawler on it and let about 1-2" of worm dangle out.. BOOM.. :LOL2:

Fishing below Hauser is pretty sweet, big trout! I've only caught two though. One was on a crippled caddis imitation in the summertime and the other was on a hot mustard rapala trolled behind the boat.

It is very boat friendly. You put in at "Gates of the Mountains" just north of Helena. Its a private boat ramp, it costs $5 to launch. Turn right out of the ramp (watch the weeds on your left) and head upstream. There is no current until you are about half a mile from the dam, be careful it gets shallow up near the dam. The key is to stay in the "old riverbed" where it will be a lot deeper. I've only been there in the late summer so I'm not sure how it is this time of year.

I was up at Noxon Rapids Reservoir this past weekend, they say there are walleyes but I couldn't find them! We did catch some pike though. It rained all 4 days we were out camping, luckily we had a wall tent and stove.

campbell, Thanks for all that info! im getting a trolling motor today so hopfully ill make it to holter this weekend, then try your spot the next weekend!

ecirb_88 said:
campbell, Thanks for all that info! im getting a trolling motor today so hopfully ill make it to holter this weekend, then try your spot the next weekend!

Awesome, let me know how it goes! And take pics.

tcampbell011 said:
ecirb_88 said:

Awesome, let me know how it goes! And take pics.

have you ever fished lake frances? i want to fish there,, suposed to be big pike and walleye!

Latest posts