CHECK FRAUD SCAM! USPS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldFloater

Reaction score
Alright so I was trying to sell my 1985 9.9 evinrude 2 stroke. And to my amazement the motor wasn't even on craigslist for more than 8 hours before I got a hit. So the guy said he would send a cashiers check. And I said ok, because cashiers checks are backed by the issuing bank.
But then the transaction started to get a little fishy. He kept asking if the check had arrived yet. And telling me that I needed to take it to the bank and then go back and pull out the cash the very next day. My lovely Fiancee caught on to it right away and told me not to trust it.
So I was selling the motor for 375.00 plus shipping fees. When I got the check yesterday, Saturday, it was for 1875.00. And instead of being a cashiers check from a regular bank. it was a check issued from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida, and the issuing bank was in California.
So needless to say, i am not taking that stupid check to the bank. And I told the guy that he is a piece of crap and he prays off of good hard working americans and that he should go slit his wrists and rid the world of his filth. He has not made any replys, hopefully he took my advice! [-o<
So all in all be wary of craigslist. And if you get a check like this do not do what they want and pull out the money right away if you take it to the bank.
My fault in this whole this was in not verifying what the exact check amount would be with shipping added.

The phone number for this guy was/is 813-644-2819. a Florida number, the guy who mailed the check was from Maryland, and it was sent out of Newburgh, NY.

Craigslist is constantly being patrolled by the scammers. Any time I put something up for sale, it's on a cash only basis and I won't hold anything for anyone. First person to lay the cash in my hand is the new owner. Glad you didn't get taken by this guy and I agree that people like that are a waste of perfectly good oxygen.

OldFloater said:
The phone number for this guy was/is 813-644-2819. a Florida number, the guy who mailed the check was from Maryland, and it was sent out of Newburgh, NY.
Why not contact the folks whose check it was and give them all the info you have. I'm sure they would like to know who is issuing checks in their name. And they have more resources than you do to go after these scum.
https://www.erau.edu/webfeedback/contact.html

Was going to do all of that first thing tomorrow. But thank you for the link, i would have been finding the numbers on my phone probably. which kinda sucks sometimes.

Yeah, no one in authority seems to care. But I took the check to the bank today, wells fargo, where it was issued from. And they actually just were going to cash it. Even after I told them the circumstances. But luckily a older lady came up and found out what I was causing a fuss about and took the check. They will call me when they find out the status, if it is good or not. The sender says that it "surely will clear". highly doubtful. And don't trust the banks on this crap, if you are curious about a check make sure you find someone with some common sense, not the cute tellers! why do good looking women seem to have no brains these days, thank god for my Fiancee!
Do not, I repeat, do not get the cash. And if you do, say you deposit it in your account, and in a few days they give you the money. Which a bank is required to do, even though the check has not actually cleared yet. Do not spend it. For atleast a week or two. I read a artical where a guy deposited a check and they came back for the money a whole six months later. So best to cause a fuss about it and be safe.

All in all, looks like i will be sticking with the 9.9hp for awhile. It sure is a good running motor though.

why do good looking women seem to have no brains these days, thank god for my Fiancee!

I'm no expert in human relationships but I certainly hope the future Mrs. OldFloater doesn't see your posting. You might want to edit to say something like "...thank god for my beautiful, brainy finacee".

I have sold lots of things on Craigslist and every time there are scammers out there. Like Jmichael says, cash in hand only. That motor here in Minnesota would have had your "cash in hand" in less than an hour for your asking price.

yeah, lesson learned. And I wish I was living there then. Because it doesn't seem like a whole lot of people around here are interested in small boats and motors.

The old saying used to be buyer beware now the tables have turned. Have had the same experience with Clist. Now its cash at time of sale only!!!

OldFloater said:
yeah, lesson learned. And I wish I was living there then. Because it doesn't seem like a whole lot of people around here are interested in small boats and motors.
Folks living in "The Cowboy State" don't have the same use for small boats and motors as folks living in "The Land of 10,000 Lakes" ???? Now, there's a surprise. :wink:

Hey Oldfloater Tinboats member airsickness is looking for a used motor. He is in PA maybe you two should PM and see if a deal could be struck. :wink:

Latest posts