Back of a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I like to give the person thats fishing the back of the boat as much new water as possible, I'll start at a point and start fishing, when the back of the boat gets to where I started, I'll troll up to where I ended and start all over again, that way everyone is fishing new water all the time. How bout you guys? Come on, the person in back has to have a chance, right?

I always pull up sideways to a spot so its even for me and the guy in the back.........and I let them know to remind me that I'm back-boating them if I do....I sometimes forget.

I;ve been on a boat where the front person fan casts back by me :lol: , I just sit with amazement #-o

Never fished from the back of a boat, I never knew anyone close by who had one. I guess when I take someone out with me I will try to do as you do shamoo or Jim whichever is easiest at the moment.

I spent 3 years in the back of the boat as a co-angler in the BFL Series prior to becoming a boater myself... I was fortunate and had a lot of good boaters to fish with during that time but there were a couple who could care less about me and my opportunities from the back of the boat. I made up my mind then that I would do my best to ensure those in the back had a good opportunity to catch fish as well. Like Jim, I ask them to let me know if I'm putting them in a bad position or if there is something they want to try.

Funny story...

I grew up fishing with my dad. As an early teenager, I would spend my afternoons in the summer trolling around the banks chunking soft plastics in search of Largemough with him. This one day in particular, my dad was catching fish one right after another... what made it even worse was that we were fishing the exact same color/type of worm and everything. I made the comment that he was catching all the fish because he was in the front of the boat and had complete control. So my dad stood up... walked to the back of the boat and with a little grin he said, "it's yours... go get'em!" Being the competitor that I was, I made a b-line for the front and planned to seize the moment and start catching all the fish while all the time leaving my dad in the back to watch how it was done.

5 casts later... my dad was reeling in a 3.5lb LM from my back seat.... Once he landed the fish and released it, he quietly got up, walked to the front of the boat and said, "you want your seat back now?" I laughed... and then walked back to the back of the boat with my head down. :(

Needless to say I learned a pretty valuable lesson that day. :lol:

I try to keep the boat parallel to the bank and do y best to let the co-angler catch a few..
I tell them to ask me to move the boat so the can fish once, if that doesn't work hit me in the back of the head with a spinnerbait.(crank bait will work also but then we might be heading to the hospital) and if that doesn't work just come on up on the front Deck and cast away..

Wayne

Latest posts