to seal or not to seal...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apsauce

Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks for checking this post out. Bought my first boat just under a year ago. Its a 12 ft, 1966 murry jon. Finally got some money together to work on this thing...and im sure a lot of you can relate to having to put a transom in Immediately lol anywho, ive got the plywood necissary but need a couple questions answered please. Does the plywood need to be water sealed? I fully intend to paint it but didnt know if sealing was absolitely necissary. Also any suggestions on install would be awesome. I know stainless hardwarebis essential but didnt know if theres some sure fire ways. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cant wait to get some pics up!!!!!

Thanks

If you plan on keeping the boat than seal it. Transom replacements are never fun, no reason to do it again. Also put some sort of sealang on the hardware that's going threw the transom

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Just get like thompsons water sealer oris there something specific??

I used spar varnish on mine last year, that's what most people here use to seal their decks and whatnot.

https://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3037779&store=1925&view=detail

Don't waste your time with Thompsons or similar products. You'd have to pull the wood back out every year to recoat it just to have a chance of keeping it from rotting and that wouldn't be a very good chance at that. Use spar varnish(not urethane), fiberglass resin, West Marine epoxy, or one of the other sealers you see mentioned a lot in the build threads. And be sure you buy exterior rated plywood (not pressure treated). Once you've got your replacement piece of wood cut to size, drill all your holes in it and drill them just a little over size. Then when you seal your wood, be sure to seal inside all the holes you drilled.

Absolutely seal! If you use 2 pieces of exterior rated plywood glued together [thickness of plywood depends on thickness of existing transom] with outdoor wood glue, then coated on all exposed surfaces with a good spar 3 times, I will last a long time.
If you dont coat it, its shot in a couple years.

Latest posts