Showing my age

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
Our 5 disc Sony CD player purchased in 1989 just quit working. I replaced it with a Sony 5 disc player that I bought in 2001 that we had in storage since 08 when we moved and down sized. I wonder if the current stuff will last that long? :LOL2: Listening to the Righteous Brothers now.

I have a similar situation. I looked in my storage a while back and I had forgotten I had one of those sony 300 disc changers. On the plus side they still sell them. Just a whole lot less than I paid for this one! LOL

You can buy a mp3 player these days for almost nothing that holds way more songs than one of the old changers.

i just put 100 of my favourite songs on a usb stick and plugged it into my reciever.also plugs into my truck,and my work tractor stereo.i have no idea how many songs it will hold.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'm starting to run low on stylus for my turntable.

My Denon turntable is in the original box in the basement. Bought it when CD's first came out, '84. I remember getting my first Pioneer 8-track player for my Olds 442. :mrgreen:

New River Rat said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'm starting to run low on stylus for my turntable.

I refuse to let go of my vinyl. I don't feel that the digital age ever came close to the fullness and warmth of analog.

Ditto. While I do enjoy the convenience of digital, it doesn't have the sound reproduction as the old analog. MP3 specifically whacks off the highs and lows, and muddy's the sound to fit on a track. They had to come up with cross frequency sub woofers to put the oomph back into the music. My Yamaha 160 amp continuous power pushing my Bose 901 rock the house. Now-a-days the only time I crank it up is spring time. Something about the fresh air gets my mojo up and cranking the classic rock soothes the soul.

I junked my Sansui turntable last year as drive belts are ridiculously expensive and don't last long anyway. I still have my original Kenwood analog amplifier from my overseas days with Uncle Sam. It sounds so much better than a digital amplifier that I have.

Of course, can't live without the memory sticks and MP3 players. They are so much more convenient.

My son used to play in a heavy metal group and all of the guitar players had analog amps because the sounds were so clean.

I've still got my Pioneer PL530 turntable and about 135 rock albums from the mid 70's. Most of them have only been played twice, once to check for scratches and once to record onto reel to reel or cassette. Like nomowork, they are from my military days when I was stationed in Japan for a couple of years. A "friend" of mine disposed of my Sansui 9090db tuner/amp and 2 of my 4 Sansui 7500x speakers several years ago.

I normally show up a little late to the game, but you guys haven't even left the house :lol: I still have a flip phone and earlier this week called customer service because I couldn't figure something out :lol: Got into the mp3 thing about 3 years ago and would never look back. I have all my music with me all the time. Don't have to worry about scratching cd's or flipping the cassette over. Vinyl normally skips when I hit a wake or rough water, and the Zenith Quadrophonic sound doesn't carry well over open water. Kept getting the 8 track mixed up with the betamax so I gave up on that too.

2sac said:
I normally show up a little late to the game, but you guys haven't even left the house :lol: I still have a flip phone and earlier this week called customer service because I couldn't figure something out :lol: Got into the mp3 thing about 3 years ago and would never look back. I have all my music with me all the time. Don't have to worry about scratching cd's or flipping the cassette over. Vinyl normally skips when I hit a wake or rough water, and the Zenith Quadrophonic sound doesn't carry well over open water. Kept getting the 8 track mixed up with the betamax so I gave up on that too.
Put a penny on the headshell in rough water.

gramaphone.png

Still have my Pioneer tuner/amp, Sansui 5 way speakers w/12" woofers (very heavy walnut cabinets) and Girard turntable w/Pickering needle cartridge and Sony reel to reel tape player/recorder - all from 1968, bought from the PX and sent home from Vietnam :) :) Speakers are still in use, the rest is in storage..... Can't beat that old quality sound - oh yeah, still have over 200 vinyl albums from the 60's - plus about 100 45's :)

FishingCop said:
Still have my Pioneer tuner/amp, Sansui 5 way speakers w/12" woofers (very heavy walnut cabinets) and Girard turntable w/Pickering needle cartridge and Sony reel to reel tape player/recorder - all from 1968, bought from the PX and sent home from Vietnam :) :) Speakers are still in use, the rest is in storage..... Can't beat that old quality sound - oh yeah, still have over 200 vinyl albums from the 60's - plus about 100 45's :)

ahh 1968.. what a year for me. Someone was still wiping my butt and changing my diaper for me! Can't remember it at all. (1year old)

FishingCop said:
.....and Sony reel to reel tape player/recorder - all from 1968, bought from the PX and sent home from Vietnam :) :) Speakers are still in use, the rest is in storage..... Can't beat that old quality sound - oh yeah, still have over 200 vinyl albums from the 60's - plus about 100 45's :)

I just recycled my Sony reel to reel with the bilateral rotating head earlier this year. All of my old stereo was bought in Guam and Thailand during my Uncle Sam's tour of the Far East. Still have my old LPs under my bed somewhere.

Got one of these bad boys. Circa early 1880-1900. I also have 4 cylinders that hold 8 tunes each.

3534927.jpg

https://www.musicaltreasuresofmiami.com/4a-cylinder-boxes.html

My 89 year old father decided he wanted his first cell phone. After a lot of research, I finally bought a flip phone from Mobil Modular. It allows me to turn off all the features except making and receiving phone calls. It is hard to find simple now days.

When I was in the fourth grade we moved to the country and we had to pick up the phone before we made a call to make certain that the phone was not in use by some one else on the party line. We could hear other people on the party line and our phone would ring when any one on the party line got a call. We had a special ring if the call was for us. We had to go through the operator to call someone else on our party line. Shortly after we moved, the phone service changed so our phone would only ring if the phone call was for us and if we picked up the phone and got silence, it meant that some one else on the party line was using it. Within a year the party line was gone. We got charged for every call we made, regardless of whither it was local or long distance. When they came out with area codes they charged us for any minutes over a certain amount and charged us for every call to an other area code, even if that area code was just down the street. If I went to the movies, I would call my parents, let it ring twice and hang up to let them know it was time to come and get me, so we would keep from being charged for the call.

The kitchen was the only room that was heated and on cold days you did not waste any time in the bathroom.

I still have a Technics SL-L120 turntable but I recently retired my Optimus 1 speakers and Radio Shack 120 amplifier.

Latest posts