tranny coolers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Any body put on an aftermarket tranny cooler on a Silverado? I am considering putting one on the wife's '03 Silverado LS w/5.3L for when we tow the daughters mini van on a flatbed trailer to Texas. What is a good brand/model of tranny coolers?

I had asked on a different web site where they actually have a forum for truck info but it seems I am a thread killer on that site as nobody responds to my posts. Maybe cause I'm not a Bass fisherman.

I double checked what the wife told me about there being no tranny cooler on her truck last night. There is a small cooler about 10" square mounted in front of the main radiator. I couldn't see where the lines went so I'll check that out today after werk. Is that as big as a tranny cooler is? Might not have to buy one.

The tranny cooler on my F-150 is small and mounted about the same place, low and behind the front bumper kinda. I'm not sure about after-market ones and what it would take to add one to a vehicle.

can't help ya there.

as for the small one you see, I usually see biggens on trucks. I still can't imagine what else that would be for, try calling a dealer on that.

I have installed a few aftermarket trans coolers. Don't know if one brand is better than another. I would choose a 4x10 or 6x10 for size. It will give plenty of cooling. I got out of the auto mechanic business in 1993. Back then you could not tow with the trans in overdrive. Check your owners manual just to be safe.

I followed the lines and yes it is a tranny cooler. Truck also has the tow haul mode which controls the shifting of the tranny when towing.

flounderhead59 said:
I followed the lines and yes it is a tranny cooler. Truck also has the tow haul mode which controls the shifting of the tranny when towing.

I guees ya learn something new everyday :wink:

if the truck has the towing package then it definatly has a tranny cooler. some also have an oil cooler mounted in the same area, but the lines go to where the oil filter is. you should be fine towing the mini van. just use the tow haul feature and if you find the tranny constantly shifting out of overdrive, then move the gear shifter into the drive(or 3) position and go with it. this shouldnt be the case unless you come across a lot of rolling hills. i didnt even see where you are from or i could pretty much tell you what to expect. hope this helps

I'll be starting this adventure in Zion, Illinois. That is north of Chicago on the lake. We'll be taking 57 all the way down and cross the Mississippi south of Cape Girardeau and then 55 to 40 to 30... Aw heck with it... We've driven it before and it is flater than when we drove across Missouri on 44 to Oklahoma that's for darn sure.

Latest posts