Mr prick-eyes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Went out to my soon to be new house to knock the grass down and burn some sticks. Reach down and had this guy head bunt my finger. I don't know if it was a warning or just a baby snake being dumb

If I had a pole with me I would of hooked and threw it in my pond. The action of a pissed off baby copperhead may out-do a zoom trickworm :shock:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368465597836.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368465597836.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368465643071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368465643071.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,001
That's not a copperhead...the round pupils are a dead giveaway.

This is a copperhead...I catch and release them somewhere else.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368475464.111649.jpg

The eyes tricked me too at first. They were more egg shaped in person. I thaught it was a water snake is why I caught it, then I found the fangs with my Gerber

It was only about 8" long, still a newborn

And yes I killed it. Non venoms are welcome at my house

I'll remove the venomous ones and take them a mile or two up the road...I do t mind them, I just don't want to be bitten when I have shorts on.

Yellow jackets, fleas, tick and skeeters...dead, I kill as many as I can.

I wasn't there but the pics sure don't look like a copperhead. My experience with copperheads and snake ID tell me the head shape is too elongated and not of the pit viper shape, the pupils appear wrong (not elliptical) and the tail is wrong for a young copperhead.

Pretty sure what you got there is a harmless Eastern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi). Pretty common throughout TN, GA, AL etc.. The round pupils are pretty clear evidence that it's harmless.

Attached are pics. In the bottom three you'll note the prominent banding and the bright yellow tail of a juvenile copperhead.

Attachments

• newborn-copperhead.jpg
    newborn-copperhead.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 820
  • copperhead1.jpg
    copperhead1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 820
  • copperhead2.jpg
    copperhead2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 820
  • brown_snake_medium.jpg
    brown_snake_medium.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 820
  • Brown-Snake_1_.jpg
    Brown-Snake_1_.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 820
[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315631#p315631 said:
Lowe 2070 CC » Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am[/url]"]Pretty sure what you got there is a harmless Eastern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi). Pretty common throughout TN, GA, AL etc.. The round pupils are pretty clear evidence that it's harmless.

Attached are pics. In the bottom three you'll note the prominent banding and the bright yellow tail of a juvenile copperhead.
Agreed. No way that was a copperhead. No banding and no yellow tail of a young copperhead and a round head. The arrow shape of the copperhead's head is practically impossible not to see. Even the shot of the snake on the ground indicates it's a brown, simply by it's markings.

Those "fangs" were most likely the specialized teeth of the brown snake. Those and specialized jaws allow them to pull snails out of their shells and eat them.

https://www.michherp.org/brown.html

Glad I wasn't the only one who knew it was a harmless snake.

So many people mistake non venomous snakes for poisonous it's crazy...if its by water it's a moccasin...if it has any kind of pattern it's a rattler....people need to educate themselves.