Transom design question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhking

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. I'm looking to buy my first tin boat and it's nice to know there's a support system out there for me.

My first question is about transom designs. Today I was looking at at 2006 Lowe 1467. The boat was in excellent condition, with a fairly new Yamaha outboard, but I am a little worried about the transom. It is the type that has a notch in the center which drops down several inches, I'm guessing to accommodate a short shaft outboard. I am worried that this style of transom will allow an occasional wave or wake from a passing boat to come over the transom and flood the boat. Is this really an issue or something i need not worry about? I will be doing most of my boating in salt water bays and sounds, which can occasionally have some choppy conditions and high boat traffic.

Thanks for any comments!

I fish out of a 16 foot short transom boat with front and rear decks. Most of my fishing is done on the Mississippi River, which also gets quite rough when the wind is out of the north or south. I have never had a problem with the boat getting swampped even with the barge traffic. My advice is to be careful, wear a life jacket, and enjoy.

Not uncommon. If you're really worried about it, and tend to do a lot of backtrolling, you can get a set of WaveWackers or Whitecaps (both are the same idea, just different companies) that will force the wave away from the transom and keep the splash to a minimum.

Measure transom from center down to bottem if its about 15 its short if its about 20 its long..if this is right boat it says 20..cva34 https://www.loweboats.com/2013/utility-boats/v1467wt/

Latest posts