US cellular Rant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
Received a letter a couple of weeks ago that us cellular was selling out certain areas and accounts to sprint and that I was one of them.

I figured it wasn't a problem because 7 years ago I moved from the area where I originally activated my phone to where I live now. US cellular isn't leaving this area I'm in now.... No problem right? Wrong.

They told me that to stay with us cellular I would have to change my number. I've had my same number for over 10 years and would like to keep it because I've used it for contact information on so many things I wouldn't know how to notify everyone.

I've talked to 5 different people and gotten three different answers. The one today was a local store manager told me the same thing I've just typed.

I can't believe that in this day and age of computers that someone can't just make a change in a computer and everything would be okay!

To stay with us cellular AND keep my same number I need to port out my number to another carrier then convince them I'm not happy within their grace period for early termination and open a new account with us cellular and port my number back in. Ridiculous.

I would completely blow off us cellular but being out in the sticks like I am, they offer the best reception around here.

I suppose I could try a pre paid like straight talk or something similar but I've heard some stories about poor reception/dropped calls.

Anyone work at US cellular that has a magical fix? LOL

OK..... LONG RANT OVER!!!!!

I retired after 30 yrs in telephony.
If they wanted to, they could let you keep your number, just some translations work. They just made a conscious decision not to, both to save them time and money and bother. Of course the people you are talking to are not the people who made those decisions and they are just following orders.
Tim

see if you can port your current # over to one of the walmart plans with no contract for 30-60 days, and then port it back to US Cellular if you want or need to.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315712#p315712 said:
TNtroller » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]see if you can port your current # over to one of the walmart plans with no contract for 30-60 days, and then port it back to US Cellular if you want or need to.

STRAIGHT TALK is awesome! Travel all over the country and have ZERO issues with it. And it is HALF the price of the big name companies.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315710#p315710 said:
earl60446 » 39 minutes ago[/url]"]I retired after 30 yrs in telephony.
If they wanted to, they could let you keep your number, just some translations work. They just made a conscious decision not to, both to save them time and money and bother. Of course the people you are talking to are not the people who made those decisions and they are just following orders.
Tim

It's just so frustrating. The people I talk to must have been told to blame it on the fcc because they use them as an excuse. Part of the buy out or something. It's just ridiculous. I don't know how the porting is done but I don't see any reason why a company I am already with for ten years can't "port" my number to a different area 70 miles away where they still operate. aaarghh

Makes a guy want to switch carriers just because.

I would play the hoops game if you really wanted to keep the number.

I am different. I don't want anyone to have my number. The people that really have it matter, everyone else can email me. :lol:

Plus the fact I have not had my own cell phone for 13 years is nice. Work provides me with an iphone, saving me some $$$ monthly.

Hopefully it gets resolved!
Jim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315829#p315829 said:
BassAddict » 21 minutes ago[/url]"]
Jim said:
IThe people that really have it matter, everyone else can email me. :lol:
Jim

Do you mean it jim, do you really really mean it!

In regards to your location, fill me in... Is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

parkerdog said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315829#p315829 said:
BassAddict » 21 minutes ago[/url]"]
Jim said:
IThe people that really have it matter, everyone else can email me. :lol:
Jim

Do you mean it jim, do you really really mean it!

In regards to your location, fill me in... Is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

As far as having Jims number, yes it is a good thing. It proves I matter plus I can supplement my income by selling it to telemarketers and any other interested parties :)

On the location I get tired of updating it, in the future please refer to Ahabs location and plot a 100 mile radius. That is where i can usually be found

Latest posts