Lesson Learned!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theyyounggun

Reaction score
This weekend we were pulling my buddies jet ski out of the driveway to go launch it. It is a very steep driveway leading onto the highway. As soon as we hit the gas pulling out onto the highway we heard a very load crash. We stopped and didn't hear anything wrong. So we hit the gas and heard it again. That's when we got out and saw that the jet ski was laying in the middle of the highway! We had to drag it on the ground to get it out off the road. It ends up the winch had broke and my buddy forgot to hook the safety chain to the ski!

Wow, that sucks! Hope the damage wasn't too bad.

My GF and I each take a walk around the boat/trailer twice before moving it and I take a third and final walk around before I jump into the vehicle. We've missed things even with that many checks!

I forgot the chain backup recently. But didn't have your issues. I have an old roller trailer and some of the rollers are basically stuck/hard to move. It didn't budge on pulling the boat out of the water. But once I saw it, I was certainly worried that it could have. My winch has been known to not lock all the time.

Glad you could get it off the road and hopefully everything is a-ok

we were in to much of a rush to get it off the highway for pics! It was a honda ski. I dont know the technical name for it but it is 3 years old and a three seater. We still went and launched it and it performed good. The strafes were all sctratched up and that was it

Do most of your guys' tin trailers have safety chains for your boats? Mine doesn't, but seems like a good idea to add one!! Not something I really every thought about. Just tightened up the winch, made sure it was looked and on my way.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316504#p316504 said:
BigTerp » Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm[/url]"]Do most of your guys' tin trailers have safety chains for your boats? Mine doesn't, but seems like a good idea to add one!! Not something I really every thought about. Just tightened up the winch, made sure it was looked and on my way.
Mine doesn't but I thing I'm going to add one.

I have a safety chain on the bow eye as well as the crank strap on my tin. I have a secondary safety strap on my glass boat on the bow eye. I found that my new nylon straps for the transom on my glass boat works it's way loose after a trip to the water. Apparently many others have the same issue.

I have a bad habit of not hooking my safety chain until after I've loaded the boat and pulled it up the ramp. This example reminds me that I know better and I'm pushing my luck.

Despite lots of experience and lessons "learned", I still use a checklist for launch, load and trailering. It has saved me a couple of times.

Latest posts