What Drowning Looks Like.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you know how to rescue someone that is drowning, you should not approach them in the water. There is a very good chance that you will become a victim as well. You're much better off to throw a line or flotation item (doesn't have to be a life jacket) to them instead of swimming up to them. They will be in extreme panic mode and grasp and climb up on top of the first thing they can get a hold on. As a former navy rescue swimmer, I've had some experience with this, so believe me when I tell you that even though you may be a lot bigger or stronger than the victim, they can still put you in extreme danger of drowning yourself.

Great info - living in south florida i have helped several "victims" out and JM is 100% right, you could find yourself in a bad situations real quick. Like JM said if you can throw them anything that will float and alert the first responders, worse case you have to do what you have to do I will not stand around and watch.

I'm a PADI-certified rescue diver and medic first aid, and concur with JMichael on this. They taught us to approach from the rear of the victim, and once you make contact with them and begin to take them to safety, cradle them with their head up, but also to be prepared to fend them off if they start to panic, and if necessary, let them wear themselves down before re-approaching.

Of course, that works for a diver because they're wearing a BCD and SCUBA gear. But if you're not wearing that stuff, it's best to throw a flotation device/life ring, etc to the victim to give them something to hold on to, then quickly, but carefully approach. Again, be prepared for them to panic and struggle, and do not put yourself at unnecessary risk.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318219#p318219 said:
PSG-1 » Yesterday, 18:11[/url]"]I'm a PADI-certified rescue diver and medic first aid, and concur with JMichael on this. They taught us to approach from the rear of the victim, and once you make contact with them and begin to take them to safety, cradle them with their head up, but also to be prepared to fend them off if they start to panic, and if necessary, let them wear themselves down before re-approaching.

Of course, that works for a diver because they're wearing a BCD and SCUBA gear. But if you're not wearing that stuff, it's best to throw a flotation device/life ring, etc to the victim to give them something to hold on to, then quickly, but carefully approach. Again, be prepared for them to panic and struggle, and do not put yourself at unnecessary risk.

X2 from another certified rescue diver.....the last thing you want is two souls lost.

I was a lifeguard for several years up here in MI, out of the 8 in-water rescues I ended up with, 3 were because other lifeguards got themselves in trouble going in after somebody. I'll echo all the better trained folks above. Going in is the least favorable option. If you can reach them with something, that is best. Then maybe throw something. If you do go in, try to bring some sort of flotation with you.

Latest posts