See what my 11 year old made today.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter has been asking me to show her how to paint fishing lures. Today we went thru the basics of an airbrush and this is what she made all by herself. I think she shoud paint all my lures from now on.
[youtube]icUA7F4ucp8[/youtube]

Great job! Good symmetry in the fade, and it appears to have nice, even coloring.
I would ask a couple questions, though.
Did she enjoy doing it?
Does she seem to be a "natural" at it?
Does she seem to have "the eye" for balanced symmetry?

If so, I might suggest you take her to a few old-car/hot rod shows, and let her watch the stripers at work. These guys get doggone good at old-school hand brush pinstriping. If she likes the methods and medium, it just might be a way for her to earn some pretty decent money for a weekend. I've heard of some of the better stripers coming away from a weekend with 10 grand in thier pocket.

To have a person that can do both hand-brush pinstriping, and airbrush artistry in a single package would be a wonderful set of skills that would carry over well to motorcycles and boats, too. (Pro bass fisherman, Pro drag racer's car's and trailers, etc., etc.)

As a bonus, the materials and supplys are (relatively) low cost, and take up minimal space, so can be carried in an economical car

Sorry, I sound like a self-centered talent scout. I suggest if its meant to be, it's meant to be,....... just don't stifle her if she wants to persue it.

Roger

Good point made in the above post.
I have a buddy that is a "sign painter". He can hand pinstripe, airbrush, gold leaf, plus the other stuff involved with his trade.
He makes a pretty good living. You would be surprised how many people bring other things to his shop to be painted, plus the vinyl graphics end of the business.

GTS225 said:
Great job! Good symmetry in the fade, and it appears to have nice, even coloring.
I would ask a couple questions, though.
Did she enjoy doing it?
Does she seem to be a "natural" at it?
Does she seem to have "the eye" for balanced symmetry?
If so, I might suggest you take her to a few old-car/hot rod shows, and let her watch the stripers at work. These guys get doggone good at old-school hand brush pinstriping. If she likes the methods and medium, it just might be a way for her to earn some pretty decent money for a weekend. I've heard of some of the better stripers coming away from a weekend with 10 grand in thier pocket.
To have a person that can do both hand-brush pinstriping, and airbrush artistry in a single package would be a wonderful set of skills that would carry over well to motorcycles and boats, too. (Pro bass fisherman, Pro drag racer's car's and trailers, etc., etc.) As a bonus, the materials and supplys are (relatively) low cost, and take up minimal space, so can be carried in an economical car.
Sorry, I sound like a self-centered talent scout. I suggest if its meant to be, it's meant to be,....... just don't stifle her if she wants to persue it. Roger
+2 If she enjoys it, then by all means feed that talent. It becomes even more rewarding when she catches fish with it.
It sounds like Dad will have to move over and become a mentor. :mrgreen:

She is the artistic type. I'm more rational. When she was deciding what she would do, I sketched out basic copy and we discussed and sketched how far each color would go on the lure, whether we would cover the head/gills or not, etc.. Then we practiced on a few paper towels, getting some use from the paint brush. Once she could write her name (two paper towels in) she went for the lure. All her own color choices. I only helped with the black on top a bit (we had to leave) and cleaning the airbrush. She got to do all the fun parts. She wants to do more now. So I think I'll let her go to town on a few.

Very nice job, I would have to say that I agree with the others, one should encourage her to peruse a carrier in the painting and air brush field if she really enjoys it.

I have a friend that goes to a few Goldwing rides a year with his air brush stuff and makes a good deal of money at every one. He's even talking about buying a Harley just so he can hit those rides/events. We put the Honda stuff away when the Harley riders come to town, lol. The last Wing Ding the guy made $3,500 after gas, hotel, food, the whole trip. PLus he has fun doing it, meeting all kids of different people.

Latest posts