SKUNK!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarbone624

Reaction score
I had a skunk around my house last night and I got it to go away. But tonight, Its back! I smell it. How the heck do I get rid of this **** thing? I live in a mobile home and it seems to have gotten underneath my house in the crawl space.

I'll probably get pounced for this too. :mrgreen:

..... but it works.

Get yourself one of those live traps like a Have-a-heart (or however you spell it). One of the small cage traps. You can bait it with dog or cat food or canned tuna.

The skunk will get in that trap but will not spray. After he has been caught in the trap, get yourself a sheet or blanket and hold it in front of you as you slowly approach the trap. Lay the sheet over the trap, covering it so that the skunk can't see. It won't spray. You can then transport the thing anywhere that you want to get rid of it.

The last step to make sure that you're not sprayed in the process... lower the trap into a pond or creek full of water until the skunk is no more.

That last part isn't going to set well with some people, but that is the way problem skunks are removed and "relocated".

If you try to release the thing while it's still alive, you're more than likely going to wind up with some nasty cologne.

ACarbone, dude thats one stinky problem, call animal control, let them handle it, better yet call P.E.T.A. Animal control should handle it.

Quackrstackr said:
I'll probably get pounced for this too. :mrgreen:

..... but it works.

Get yourself one of those live traps like a Have-a-heart (or however you spell it). One of the small cage traps. You can bait it with dog or cat food or canned tuna.

The skunk will get in that trap but will not spray. After he has been caught in the trap, get yourself a sheet or blanket and hold it in front of you as you slowly approach the trap. Lay the sheet over the trap, covering it so that the skunk can't see. It won't spray. You can then transport the thing anywhere that you want to get rid of it.

The last step to make sure that you're not sprayed in the process... lower the trap into a pond or creek full of water until the skunk is no more.

That last part isn't going to set well with some people, but that is the way problem skunks are removed and "relocated".

If you try to release the thing while it's still alive, you're more than likely going to wind up with some nasty cologne.

Take a video if you do this

Jim said:
Bright lights will make them go away. Man thats horrible.

Skunks cant really see at night, I guess they have bad eye-sight

Acarbone624 - just throw a bunch of old food into the nieghbors yard for a couple of days so the skunk picks up the scent and starts going over there from now on... #-o :wink:
OR, you can pick up the furry little creature and relocate him to a safe habitat (i got my money on the skunk).

Esquired - that would be GREAT if it can be on video :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :roflmao:

I talked to Animal Control here and they said if its underneath my house and I only hear it at night, I would have to call an exterminator. If it was during the day, they would help because it might be rabid. (lucky me, I only hear & smell it at night) I talked to my dad last night and he said to put some tuna or cat food out in the yard to get it out of there. I think I might I have scared the skunk into there the first night. #-o I'm gonna check around today to see if its still around.

Whew, hope you get rid of that thing. As suggested above, maybe use some bright lights, and also add some heavy metal music or some of that thump, thump, thump rap music to go with it. :shock:

esquired said:

Take a video if you do this

I have never had any skunk problems (and hope that I never do), but can put you in touch with several guys that have done this if you doubt that it works. I would be doing a whole lot of this while carrying the sheet: [-o<

I can tell you from personal experience what happens if you shoot one... that smell that everyone associates with a skunk...... it doesn't smell quite the same from about 8 feet. It has more of a chemical odor and actually burns your nose.

We were staying a friends cabin once and a skunk was making a burrow or den or whatever those little &@$t@rds build. My dad took care of it. Seems they don't care for loud sudden noises. They don't relly care for getting hit in the back of the head with a piece of lead traveing about 900fps either. Man a .45 makes a big boom under a house. We were told the smell went away after about 3 weeks. Not sure if this helps you any but it sure did help me relive a memorable day with my dad.

Well, I took off a few panels of my skirting trim and put some cat food out in the yard. I also set off a couple of those bug bombs on opposite ends. That was 2 nights ago. Yesterday I checked under there with a flashlight and I didn't see anything. So last evening I closed everything back up and checked for any other place the skunk might be able to get in.

I didn't hear or smell anything last night so hopefully it left for good! =D>

I guess it didn't like me walking around the house stomping my feet on the floor. :shock:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the beast is gone, that stompen around the house you were doing is called Country Cloggen :wink:

Latest posts