GreenBlue algae makes is disappointing for fishing !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMC

Reaction score
Hi to all,
Do you guys down south have this problem because of the green blue algae ?, here in western Canada all lakes in the Alberta province seem to have advisory against swimming,eating your catch....even if you boil the water the health authorities say is not safe !?, very dangerous if ingested....I'm afraid taking our two years old on the water !...so disappointing....soon winter will be upon us and 7 months I'll be drooling at your guys pictures....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329252#p329252 said:
DanMC » 14 Sep 2013, 08:08[/url]"]Hi to all,
Do you guys down south have this problem because of the green blue algae ?, here in western Canada all lakes in the Alberta province seem to have advisory against swimming,eating your catch....even if you boil the water the health authorities say is not safe !?, very dangerous if ingested....I'm afraid taking our two years old on the water !...so disappointing....soon winter will be upon us and 7 months I'll be drooling at your guys pictures....
We have a seasonal red algae we call 'the red tide' that occurs during very hot weather. It kills fish, gives off a nasty odor, and causes respritory problems. Haven't seen it this year. Maybe all the oil and dispercants laying on the bottom of the gulf(that no one talks about) is stopping it this year.

We have one system that has the green algae.theres a bunch of mink farms and there waste runs off into the water,shame to.
Fishing still good,but what a shame for waterfront properties ...no swimming etc.
The red tide here is a salt water condition,happens in the warmer months...only lasts a couple weeks,mostly just worry about shell fish.

Yes, algae booms occasionally occur in Oregon at both low and high elevations. Sometimes quite large bodies of water are completely closed. I've had fishing plans altered on short notice in Oregon and British Columbia by them.

Here in Wisconsin, Lake Winnebago is a bowl of pea soup. There are gobs so thick that they will scrub 10 to 15% off your speed at WOT. If the wind is right, it can build up in some of the marinas, sink, and start to percolate. You can't breath the air because of the stench.

Supposedly this algae crap dies off when the weather cools off,so here in Alberta the warnings posted by the health authorities are good till middle of October,so unless we get the lakes to freeze...i guess that's when the boat will see more than just rain water !

Yup. We get a green algae. This year we didn't get hardly any though. But it did seem like we had another fish kill in the Shenandoah.

Yea.. "turnover" just happened here on the lakes the last couple of weeks...

ill keep to the rivers.. ;)

What you're talking about is "Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green bacteria, blue-green algae, and Cyanophyta, is a phylum of bacteria that obtain their energy through photosynthesis.[3] The name "cyanobacteria" comes from the color of the bacteria (Greek: κυανός (kyanós) = blue).
By producing oxygen as a gas as a by-product of photosynthesis, cyanobacteria are thought to have converted the early reducing atmosphere into an oxidizing one, which dramatically changed the composition of life forms on Earth by stimulating biodiversity and leading to the near-extinction of oxygen-intolerant organisms. According to endosymbiotic theory, the chloroplasts found in plants and eukaryotic algae evolved from cyanobacterial ancestors via endosymbiosis."

Latest posts