squirrels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
Got a lot of squirrels in my neighborhood, there fun until they start causing problems. Tree rats basically. In my area, we have black, grey and brown squirrels. The black ones are small and troublesome. In any case, they chewed a hole in my garbage can, one of those big blue things on wheels. Hold about 70 gallons, hard plastic, kinda blew it off, garbage service owns it anyway. The other day I walk out to my driveway and there are little bits of black rubber in a 3 ft circle. Tree rats eating my tire on car. Thought about it for a couple days and decided to cook up a concoction of 2 qts water and 15 jalapenas all ground up. Let it boil and cool, strain thru coffee filter into spray bottle. Used this on my tires, hope it works. Took all the ground up peppers and spread on a tree they use to get on my house, hope that works too.
Tim

I like this approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIQ9A28XapQ&noredirect=1

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332066#p332066 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 14 Oct 2013, 16:20[/url]"]Kill 'em and eat 'em...that'll learn 'em.

Agreed.

.22 works just fine

Ground up jalapenas on the tree did not deter them. Dont know what is on my roof they like. Can't use a 22 or I will be talking to police, even a bb gun might get me a talking to.
Tim

The trick to using a 22 in the city without getting the police involved is to be selective about what ammo you use and shooting from a position where you're concealed from your neighbors view. Of course you may find that your neighbors want the pest gone as badly as you do. Ammo like the CCI CB (short or long) only has a muzzle velocity of 710 fps and is very quiet when fired. Aguila Super Colibri is a 20 grain 500 fps ammo.

Your choice, but these days a "gun charge" looms large on an individual's record. Not sure I'd say squirrels were worth it. Wrist Rocket, maybe?

While some municipalities suggest havahart traps, or professional pest control companies, the fact of the matter is that you really can't get rid of an infestation of squirrels in a community. For each one you take out, others fill the niche.

And, a seldom considered fact of havahart traps is that you gotta put the squirrel someplace else, and while immersing the trap in water sounds simple, believe me, it's a pain.
Knew a guy who would start his day by loading a squirrel-laden trap in his car, drive to work, and try VERY hard not to be seen releasing the captive d'jour in the suburbs.

:)

Good luck, have fun.

I don't know.....this one looks more.......dramatic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINmQ633tQ4

Roger

That WOULD get his attention !!! :wink: But as long as they can square off and land on their feet, I don't think it will dissuade them for long. :?

Maybe if the things were rigged to slam the critter into a wall or barrier of some sort, they might have a less pleasant memory of the experience. :wink:

Not sure what to do about tires & garbage cans, but for the tree to the roof thing, wrap some small gauge alluminum around the trunck of the tree, they can't climb past the metal.

I had a problem with them when we bought our house. They ate through the soffit in the addition and got into the attic. Sounded like a herd of elephants at two in the morning. I closed up the hole so good that they couldn't get back out . I tried everything I read about, mothballs, fox urine and even loud noises. It did nothing but drive them crazy because they couldn't get out of the attic. Finally just put a have-a-hart trap up there with peanut butter and a few of those big rat traps screwed into the floor. Caught a total of 7 of them. Pellet gun and a trash bag was the only way to get rid of them completely. Good luck

Ditto, Gamo to the rescue. I aim for the tail at first, head if they piss me off. I've zapped a walnut out of one's mouth a couple years ago and caused two of them to commit suicide by jumping out the silver maple in front of the house after being stung numerous times.

Or this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcRhflUbcg

Latest posts