Salmon charter boat sinks on Lake Michigan

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
A 39' Salmon Charter Boat sunk in 50 FOW today. Reports of 6-10 foot waves took her down. All hands rescued by the Coast Guard. Man that lake blows up fast. It was 1-2's when they went out. They went down right were I fish too.

A link to a report

https://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=200524

Another guy that was out there made this report.

I was on the Lake 2 1/2 miles from Jason (Captain of the boat that sank) when it happened. It went from 1-3 footers to 6-8 in 5 minutes and built to 10-13 footers before we could get in. It was solid 10 footers in the matter of 20 minutes. I was talking to the coasties and the winds were recorded up to 77 miles an hour from the south east. It took me almost 1 1/2 hours to go 6 miles back to the harbor in my 10 meter. We took 3 waves over the transom that filled the deck with a foot of water just trying to get the boat turned. I wish the waves were 6 footers because that would have been lady's day compared to what we went through. Thank god there were no small boats in the area that that cell came through.

That is some serious waves to sink a 37 footer, glad you didnt wet the line that day. I cant imagine going through that, glad everyone is doing fine.

The only reason I didn't go out was the rain. The waves when I thought about it were 1-2's. I just hate sitting in a boat getting rained on so I stayed home.