New guy checkin in... Please take a look

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iTRDEC

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!

My names Dec. For the past year I've been kicking around the idea of getting a boat. I wanted something that I could work with on a small budget and manage due to the fact that I never owned a boat and this would be a learning exp. I have a small 4 cyl toyota pickup and needed a small light bought that it could pull. Living in south florida there are tons of places to go fishing and just boating in general. I will usually be going out with 2-3 buddies including myself. I mostly plan on going to nearby canals, the flats in the keys, flamingo and maybe even
Biscanye bay.

I've decided I will be looking for 14ft vee hull aluminum boat. There are so many different types ex sea king, Starcraft, sea nymph etc. I see starcrafts are very common here. Any brands to stay away from or to look out for?

I'm mechanically inclined and don't mind putting in some work.
I'm finding a lot of hulls w/o trailers or motors. I can start piecing my rig together or would it make more sense to buy one that's already together?

Thanks for reading

Things to look out for in used aluminum boats
1 Thin hull. This happens with heavy use over time and is just wear that can be avoided with a paint job. Just make sure the hull isn't worn thin in places and you'll be OK.
2 Make sure that the owner has the proper paperwork
3 Corrosion if it looks bad it probably is.
4 Damage/Holes/leaky seams and rivets. This can all be repaired but it's easier to find one without such problems or only minor issues.

Package deals are great just make sure your not getting sold a junk package ( Inspect everything ).
As far as boat brands go there are lots of varieties from dozens of manufactures from the late 1940's to the present. Just find one that will fit your needs. Older boats 1972 and older may or may not have flotation foam and were capacity rated by the OBC/OBCA 1973 and newer were required to have foam and were USCG Rated.I hope this helps you in your decision making. Hope you can get on the water soon!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346568#p346568 said:
ccm » 27 Mar 2014, 22:44[/url]"]Things to look out for in used aluminum boats
1 Thin hull. This happens with heavy use over time and is just wear that can be avoided with a paint job. Just make sure the hull isn't worn thin in places and you'll be OK.
4 Damage/Holes/leaky seams and rivets. This can all be repaired but it's easier to find one without such problems or only minor issues.

Package deals are great just make sure your not getting sold a junk package ( Inspect everything ).
As far as boat brands go there are lots of varieties from dozens of manufactures from the late 1940's to the present. Just find one that will fit your needs. Older boats 1972 and older may or may not have flotation foam and were capacity rated by the OBC/OBCA 1973 and newer were required to have foam and were USCG Rated.I hope this helps you in your decision making. Hope you can get on the water soon!

Thanks for your advice I will def keep an eye out for what you mentioned

I've read warnings about dealing with older motors that have been run in salt water. Mainly saying to check the motors out thoroughly or have it checked by a pro if you don't know what to look for. I don't know this to be fact because I have no experience with running in salt water. Of course I guess the same precautions need to be taken regarding the boat and trailer if they've been in a saltwater environment.

What CCM said +1. You live in Florida. Everything you find has seen saltwater. If I buy a used motor, it will be for a rebuild and I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it. Been burned twice in my younger, stupid years. My goal is to finish off some medical bills then buy a nice new(or almost new) 15 horse with a warranty. Couple more months(knock on wood). =P~

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346576#p346576 said:
JMichael » 28 Mar 2014, 01:17[/url]"]I've read warnings about dealing with older motors that have been run in salt water. Mainly saying to check the motors out thoroughly or have it checked by a pro if you don't know what to look for. I don't know this to be fact because I have no experience with running in salt water. Of course I guess the same precautions need to be taken regarding the boat and trailer if they've been in a saltwater environment.

Yes I plan on having a pro check out any motor I buy. Saltwater is scary because I've seen the damage it can do. Thanks for your tips

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346596#p346596 said:
ggoldy » 28 Mar 2014, 09:45[/url]"]What CCM said +1. You live in Florida. Everything you find has seen saltwater. If I buy a used motor, it will be for a rebuild and I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it. Been burned twice in my younger, stupid years. My goal is to finish off some medical bills then buy a nice new(or almost new) 15 horse with a warranty. Couple more months(knock on wood). =P~

Sorry to hear of the medical bills. I was also looking into new motors. Really liking the 4 strokes. But I will keep this mind if I buy used, thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346563#p346563 said:
iTRDEC » 27 Mar 2014, 22:13[/url]"]Hello everyone!!!

...I'm finding a lot of hulls w/o trailers or motors. I can start piecing my rig together or would it make more sense to buy one that's already together?

So long as you're mechanically inclined I'd try to get a setup including boat/motor & trailer - buying them separately will almost always cost you more - but you can be pickier with each part...

I don't live anywhere near salt water, so buying a used motor isn't an issue here - if it is where you're located then I'd watch for a boat/trailer deal and source the motor separately. Oh - you will want to change the impeller (or at least remove the lower unit and visually inspect it) on any used motor you buy.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346610#p346610 said:
onthewater102 » 28 Mar 2014, 14:18[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346563#p346563 said:
iTRDEC » 27 Mar 2014, 22:13[/url]"]Hello everyone!!!

...I'm finding a lot of hulls w/o trailers or motors. I can start piecing my rig together or would it make more sense to buy one that's already together?

So long as you're mechanically inclined I'd try to get a setup including boat/motor & trailer - buying them separately will almost always cost you more - but you can be pickier with each part...

I don't live anywhere near salt water, so buying a used motor isn't an issue here - if it is where you're located then I'd watch for a boat/trailer deal and source the motor separately. Oh - you will want to change the impeller (or at least remove the lower unit and visually inspect it) on any used motor you
buy.

Thanks man that makes alot of sense

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346568#p346568 said:
ccm » 27 Mar 2014, 21:44[/url]"]Things to look out for in used aluminum boats

1 more thing regarding flotation foam in boats generally early 1990's and older; many boat companies used a two part open celled foam meaning that it absorbed water if it ever got wet ( no the boat wouldn't sink if swamped ) it absorbed water over time and it can be easy or difficult to replace according to where/how the manufacturer put it in. New closed celled foam is easy to find, just go to your local building supply store and it is sold as insulation sheets. If the boat feels heavier than it is supposed to be than this might be an issue. It's not a deal breaker for most boats but it can be a negotiating point.

Just be aware that modern boats are made using a urethane based closed cell foam - the stuff you buy from a home-supply store (Lowes / Home Depot) is extruded polystyrene - the difference is urethane is pretty well inert, where as if you get a drop of gas on polystyrene it will eat right through it - spill gas and your backup flotation in the event of a swamping turns into basically napalm goo and is useless when an ***-hat yuppie buzzes you with his ski boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346849#p346849 said:
onthewater102 » 30 Mar 2014, 19:49[/url]"]Just be aware that modern boats are made using a urethane based closed cell foam - the stuff you buy from a home-supply store (Lowes / Home Depot) is extruded polystyrene - the difference is urethane is pretty well inert, where as if you get a drop of gas on polystyrene it will eat right through it - spill gas and your backup flotation in the event of a swamping turns into basically napalm goo and is useless when an ***-hat yuppie buzzes you with his ski boat.

That's good to know. Lol man there is def a lot to learn I'm glad I found this forum. Lol